Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suspension shudder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDD252

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Suspension shudder Reply with quote

Hi All. I have a 96 XJ which I just had the steering stabilizer and track bar replaced on, due to a popping noise. When I got the vehicle back the steering wheel was off 1/3 of a turn to the right which the shop corrected. The problem I'm experiencing now is a steering/suspension shudder when going over expansion joints on bridges and pot holes over 55mph. The vehicle still responds with steering, just shudders hard in the wheel. The shuddering continues for about 2 seconds after it begins and then stops and drives fine. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar. Also I'm wondering if its possible the shop just adjusted the toe for the alignment and not the caster and camber which may still be off? I checked the tightness for everything and everything appears to be tight. On the lower end of the track bar {axle end} there is a metal tab that drops down on the back of the bolt.. appears to be on the bolt, but under the nut, wiggles around.. is that supposed to be pinched between the bolt and nut indicating its loose?? Thanks for any ideas or help!
badger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your lowwer trackbar mount is loose and depending on how long you have let it go like that you could have wasted the new bushing.why did you replace both the trackbar and steering stablizer if you had a popping noise.it was most likely the lower or upper trackbar bushing being worn out.you can replace them without replacing the whole thing.i would take it back and tell them they did a bad job and that thing have become loose or they weren't tightened all the way to begin with .

you could tighten it up yourself and see if it stops .also if you had play in the trackbar before you might wan to rotate your tires as well as having them rebalanced just to make sure that is not causing the shudder.but that tab shouldn't move.the tab is connected to the nut and keeps it from turning when you tighten the bolt.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SDD252

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steering stabilizer was shot this summer I took it off and noticed it had no pressure in it, so I know that was bad. The heim joint at the top end of the track bar they said was shot... I was getting a slight vibration and popping when flexed the right way. I was on the lower track bar end with a 1.5 ft breaker bar and got it as tight as I could but that tab is still loose, I did get the bolt to turn about 1.5 turns though. Thanks for the input!!
SDD252

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just looked at the lower end of the track bar.. theres about 1/16" of space between the back of the track bar and the axle bracket. Also it looks like the bushing is inline on the bottom and pushing out slightly on the top. Does anyone know if that tab is supposed to pinch behind the nut? Also is the track bar supposed to have room on either side of it between the axle bracket?
SDD252

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update this for anyone whose having the same or similar problem. Finally got the Cherokee fixed.. it was actually the new steering damper. Because it was not a Mopar steering stabilizer it was too stiff for the Jeep and was acting like a rod stuck between the axle bracket and track bar. Replaced it with a Mopar one which was similiar style but smaller and havent had any more problems! Hopefully this will be of assistance to anyone with similar problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: