Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tech question for any of those mechanics/engineers out there

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Tech question for any of those mechanics/engineers out there Reply with quote

On my '97 Cherokee after a cold start if I kill the engine it won't start again for another 5 minutes, and if I drive it directly after a cold start, often times it won't shift into 4th at all (automatic tranny). However, when the engine's warm (210 deg.) I don't have that problem at all. My mechanic says it's the neutral safety switch; sound familiar to anyone? Thanks.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a weird one. Usually when the transmission won't go into OD, it indicates that the ECU has activated "limp in" mode. Which is a condition that happens when the computer knows it's getting bad info from a sensor. It then ignores sensor data and "guesses" about how to run the engine so you can limp it in to a mechanic.

However, limp in mode is always accompanied by a check engine light. Plus, it runs fine when warm. It also doesn't sound like the NSS, that would not allow you to even attempt to crank it.

It does sound like a bad sensor someplace. Unless someone here has run across this one, the best piece of advice I can give is to have someone put a DRB scan tool on it when it's cold and see what the ECU is reporting.

Moving this to to Drivetrain to give it more exposure. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda sounds like vacuum lock, until you get to the tranny part....

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: starting Reply with quote

What does it do when it won't start? If the motor turns over but does not fire it would not be the NSS. A bad/dirty NSS will not allow the starter to engage. If it does turn over then you have to check sensors like the crankshaft position one. Not sure how many a 97 has, the 94 Grand I used to have had 2. It would intermittently start depending on the weather and of course never happened in my driveway for weeks. When it finally did I was able to see a bad sensor (under the distributor) with a volt meter. I wonder if the tranny issue is seperate, could be the computer doing both.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it doesn't start it doesn't do anything. No noises no clicking no nothing. Then about 4-5 minutes later it fires up no problem.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. That definatly sounds like the NSS. It also sounds like there's two different problems here. I would rebuild/clean the NSS first and once that problem is fixed, start diagnosing the tranny shift problem.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: