Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help me rationalize

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mopar500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Please help me rationalize Reply with quote

I have spent way more on my 92 Cherokee than I thought possible. When I purchased it, I knew the paint was bad and I thought I could live with it. I was wrong.
Less than a month after I bought it, I had it repainted ($2,600).
Now add in some other necessary repairs and for what I have sunk into this thing I could have purchased a 99-00 Durango.
Jeeze! I feel stupid! Rolling Eyes
But at the same time I still like the Cherokee. The paint and the new chrome make it look really nice.

Usually I am pretty good at rationalizing but I think I need some help here.
Has anybody else gone overboard on Jeep repairs and modifications? How do you deal with it? Confused
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone goes overboard with Jeep modifications...haha Mr. Green

Every vehicle new or old will have problems with it, there is no way around that. But I can promise you, these Jeeps will last as long as you take proper care of them once you finish with those necessary repairs.

HTH,
Stevo Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
telam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deal with it by spending way too much money on projects I take way to long to finish, practice my rationalization on the wife before I turn it on myself, and telling myself that it will be one hell of a story around a campfire someday soon. Hows that?
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the meaning of Jeep =

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

And try having two of them (an XJ and TJ)

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar happened on my '88 MJ. Paid too much for it, everything began to fail, and before I knew it I could have bought something else. Probably the worse purchase I've ever made. Confused

However, it was a learning experience to say the least. Yea, you could have bought a Durango...but let's face it, it isn't a Jeep, has IFS, and I can't remember ever seeing one on the trails we run. Saw a guy with a Dakota try, but didn't get 100 yards before he got stuck. Rolling Eyes

With the money I've spent on my wife's XJ, and now my TJ, I could have bought a H2 Hummer. But I wouldn't own one. Now an H1...that would be different. Fact is, I have what I want. And it's customized to what I want, not what others think I should have. Not for everyone, but neither is a Jeep.

Wink
Mopar500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the validation. Wink
I am glad to hear others have had similar experiences.
How do you learn from this experience? I mean, I thought I was buying a sound vehicle. Maybe it has to do with luck?
How would you determine when enough is enough, as far as putting good money after bad?
viper24242

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was buying my ZJ I frequently asked my dad for advice to help me decide if I really wanted, needed, and could buy it (still making payments) and he told me that you could pay for a new car up front, or you could buy a used car and basically pay the same amount as a new car over time on repairs and stuff. So that was pretty much my justification for spending money on my heep.

On a funny note when I was thinking about signing and commiting to buying my own car I looked at the dealer and then to my dad sitting next to me. He had on this weird looking grin. When I asked him what he was grining at he just looked at me and said: "I just like seeing you squirm"
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mopar500 wrote:
Thanks for the validation. Wink
I am glad to hear others have had similar experiences.
How do you learn from this experience? I mean, I thought I was buying a sound vehicle. Maybe it has to do with luck?
How would you determine when enough is enough, as far as putting good money after bad?

Some of it is luck, but a lot of it is doing your homework. Now I'm not saying you didn't research it, but finding out common problems and their fixes beforehand helps, and also knowing how to diagnose (sp?) problems while test driving can really help.

A way to learn is to ask yourself what you didn't check that you could have checked. This is an obvious example, but it gets my point across:

Say you went out, bought the Jeep, and brought it home...a few days of parking it in the same spot, and you notice a dark spot on your driveway. You realize it's leaking fluid, and you need to replace a seal on the differential. NEXT time you are in the market for a 4x4, you will remember to check the engine, transmission, and differentials for fluid leaks. Also, if bad paint bothers you, don't buy a vehicle with the clearcoat chipping away Wink There are many more vehicles for sale of that same make and model.

As far as the good money/bad money statement, it's really personal preference. If you feel you are spending too much money on something, maybe it's time to stop putting "extra" money into it, or sell it all together for some other vehicle-project.

I apologize if this seems watered-down or painfully obvious, but as I said, I was just trying to give an easy example to follow.

HTH,
Stevo Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mopar500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, your right Stevo. I know these things. You explain the learning experience well. And I suppose I am learning all the time. I just wish it weren't so damn expensive. Confused
I feel better.
With everyone's help, I can rationalize this now!
Thanks for putting up with my whining.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: