Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OK, advice needed...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: OK, advice needed... Reply with quote

I have 6 inches of lift on my XJ right now, stock gears (3.55) and 31 inch tires. The tires look a little small but not too bad, people always guess bigger. Anyway, been wanting to get 33's, but can't afford the regear. Was at a RTI ramp today (910 by the way) and a friend has new axles he's gonna put in, offered me his dana 30,35's with 4.56s in them, new shafts (with break warranty), gears are just under 2 years old. Not much driving, only some off roading. said 600$.

First, I will not be going bigger than 33's, i get around just fine without lockers, dont plan on them soon.

Is this a good deal if the gears are in good shape? Costs less than hardware alone almost to regear. no labor cost, i can swap in axles.

Advice? Thanks...
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I just realized, my jeep is a 97 (ABS) his is early 90's, without ABS. Would I just be sacrificing ABS or will the compuer even work without ABS signals?
offroading.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abs stuff sits on the hubs so you could swap it over

steve@offroading.net
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the ABS info, is this worth doing though? Lot less than regearing, I can do the work....
badger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for two year old gears that have seen nothing but offroad duty iwould be saying a lot less then 600 .if they are locked with a true locker and not lunch box lockers then sure i guess.

everything from the ABS would switch right over to your axle .you wouldn't even have to crack a brake line really.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I think he said locked but Ill check. has superior axle shafts
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
offered me his dana 30,35's with 4.56s in them

what axles do you have now???

personally i wouldn't get the rear D35 if you already have the chrysler 8.25. but if you already have a D35, then i guess it won't hurt anything to put that one in now.

if you stick money into rear axles, you always want to go AWAY from the D35, not towards it. the D35's are mostly junk.
________
Ford U platform specifications

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
badger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he has ABS so he has the 35 already .if the one he buys has alloys and a locker he is doing better then he is now.

i agree i would never buy a 35 even if it was locked and loaded but i also have a harsh driving style that tends to break parts.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well since you already have a 35 and are getting this build combo, it's just acceptable. i would try to talk him down to $500.
________
Battle of the Overpass

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, sorry, thought I put that I have 30/35, but you guys got it. I understand that the 35 is not the beef. But I will not be going bigger than 33's and it has upgraded axle shafts, with warranty. For me it's an upgrade, thats a lot less than regearing, plus its work I can do....so I'll talk to him on the price, he just threw 5-600 out there, im sure thats his asking price. Thanks for the help, I'll keep you updated.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not trying to bust your bubble, but go to the superior website and look up the rear axles. they have different warranties for some of their axle shafts.

some are limited lifetime and some are only 2 and 5 year warranties.

i would also e-mail them and ask them specifically about tire size in relationship to the warranty. i know some companies stop warranting at 33" or above.

just figured i'd give you a heads up so you don't get a surprise when you call them for warranty.
________
Gold Wing

srb96bravo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, was mostly just looking at them for being higher strength, the warranty would be a plus if it applied.
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talked to him again. rear also has disc brakes, front is a disconnect axle but he has 4x4 posilock cable actuator, Im not sure how that one works, any one know? The disc brakes are a plus.
badger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the front axle is a bit of a waste.the only real thing that might be worth it is the locker as long as both are high pinion.the shafts are going to be a three piece unless he switched it over to a two shaft.

scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you take his front axle, there is a very easy way to get rid of the vacuum disconnect.

pull his axles shafts out. replace the axle seals with seals for 1piece axles shafts, pull off the vacuum motor. plug of the hole in the cover plate and bolt it back up. now you have a non-vacuum disconnect axle. i've done that to a couple axles already.
________
easy vape vaporizer

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: