Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

front locker issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan96XJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: front locker issues Reply with quote

Hi,

Ive done a search and gone through them, but none specifically answer my question(s).

Im interested in fitting a lunchbox locker (Lockright) in the front Dana 30 with Select trac t-case (96 XJ).

I have been advised by some that this is not a good idea becuase I will compromise steering around corners when applying the gas in the FULL-TIME 4wd (or All wheel drive/constant 4wd) on hard surafces. I like using this function on wet slippery road conditions.

I have also been told that this is not true because when one wheel is spinning at a different speed from cornering the locker disengages and cannot despite the application of torque, lock again.

So the question(S):

Has anyone fitted this type of locker in the front with same t-case and noticed steering is dangerous in full time 4wd?

OR

Do lockright lockers "lock" when torque is applied when turning a corner?

Many Thanks

Dan
telam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those issues you mentioned are true given the right circumstances. Granted those circumstances happen often. The best thing you should do IMO is to lock the rear and leave it. When (if) you wheel hard enough to swap to a t-case that doesn't have full time the a front locker will be an option.
Dan96XJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, thx telam. well the t-case upgrade isnt really an option right now, its just im re-gearing soon (an opportunity i couldnt miss) and thought about the front diff while its had its guts ripped out. I really desire a Detroit tru-trac (few XJs here with em and happy without the driveability issues) just the lockright was a cheaper option worth considering.
telam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lock right is an awesome locker. Its automatic, if it breaks it will still get you home, its simple to install-repair-diagnose, and above all its cheap. But then its automatic=dumb. when torque is applied it locks up regardless of any other factor. I have heard of people running them in the front and being quite happy with it. On the other hand if you take family around in the jeep then you will be explaining alot of noises to them. Just an added thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: