Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using 4x4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shimma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Using 4x4 Reply with quote

As I dont have a owners manual to go by,and this is my first Jeep,what are the proper procedures, to engage 4x4 etc? I've only had a few goes at using 4x4in my old 1991 NissanTerrano/Pathfinder,which was easy to get in and back out of the various formats. From what I've been reading in the posts on here,some have trouble doing this,I don't want to be stuck someplace on the edge of the world,not knowing why the Jeep is playing up,and can't get it back into 2wd.So what are the basic no-no's? cheers...Jim
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, the manual tells you that you can shift into 4H at any safe driving speed. I'd keep it under 45mph. It's basically shift-on-the-fly. To shift into 4L, be sure to have the Jeep moving around 3-5mph. Shift the transmission into N and in one smooth motion, move the TC shifter straight into 4L. Put your tranny back into the appropriate gear.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
badger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renegadestang wrote:
To shift into 4L, be sure to have the Jeep moving around 3-5mph. Shift the transmission into N and in one smooth motion, move the TC shifter straight into 4L.

lasted i checked you are supposed to come to a complete stop ,shift trans into neutral then shift into four low.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shimma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that,guys.I'm still unsure though as to when the 'part-time' mode should or shouldn't be applied.When my Jeep was delivered,the transporter driver,must of put it into this mode,as it showed on the display panel,but had a hell of a job getting it back into 2wd,we weren't sure,and it was hard to steer at just 1-2 kph trying to turn it around ,to drive to my service centre,who we had rung,explaining the problem so I just ended up driving it real slow for the 2 kays to their place . They had to put it up on their hoist,to release the tension so it could disengage itself out of its jammed partime or whatever mode it was in,which it did.
It's back at this garage,at the mo.getting anything it needs to bring it right,especially inspecting all the running gear etc, underneath.I even had the ill fitting windscreen replaced with a new one,as it was a shockingly bad installation,whoever did it,was half blind,I reckon Very Happy ,the wind noise was incredible at around 50kph and over, could hardly hear the stereo!!
They're doing a thorough going over on it for me,linkages,balljoints diffs,uni's steering gear, and a wheel alignment.
Also at around 100kph,there appears a sort of 'vibration' from the rear end,a feeling of harshness ,like the smooth normal feeling goes,and it's still there to at least 120kph,I didn't want to push it any further!! hard to describe the sensation,as I say,the truck has this outta balance feel. It's like the rear end isn't meshing quite right,or something.The tyres were balanced,as I had them done,after taking all the original ones off,'cos i thought they were outta shape and oldish looking,and were the cause of this vibration,but no,it's still there!!...cheers...Jim

Last edited by Shimma on Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
badger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you don't want to 4 any 4 wheel drive option while on dry pavement.the vibration you have could be a rear u joint or a driveshaft that is out of balance

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mopar500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I use it, is:
2wd = dry pavement
Full-time = mildly slick road
Part-time = very slick road or off road
Low = serious off road
Shimma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mopar500, thanks,that makes things clearer to a newbie... Smile .....
Another question please, in fulltime mode,what's the limit for speed?
Mopar500

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure. How fast are you planning on going?
If it were me, I would probably keep it under triple digits. Wink
Shimma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy ,I was wondering what the limits were,for a guide line,especially on touch-downs Wink Mr. Green cheers Jim
mikerhona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shimma,
personally I wouldn't use part time at all, the conditions have to be just so to use it and I don't think it's that critical.
I've had a couple of scares where I've been in 4wd, got back onto tarmac, shifted back into 2wd and found it stuck in part time. I had to stop and reverse a couple of hundred yards to free it. You have to be firm when shifting from 4 to 2
Mike
Shimma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that makes sense to me,Mike,thanks.When I first heard the terminology'Part time" I wasn't sure,and still aren't,just what it does.I'm used to my 1991 3.0 Nissan Terrano/Pathfinder,just put it into what ever mode,and away you go,stop,put it back to 2wd no problems ever,of getting stuck in any of the options,so why do these Jeeps go wrong,so often? The threads seem full on the topic of being stuck etc...by the way,what Jeep do you have? cheers from down under Very Happy
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: 4x4 Reply with quote

The only time I've seen an issue with one is when the 4 wheel drive is never used. The linkage will lock up or get hard to move from neglect. I use my through the winter when there is snow/ice on the ground with no issues. If it's hard to move it needs lubing. I shift in and out of part-time 4x4 while moving, the only thing I do is let go of the accelerator for a second so the gears engage/dis-engage (actually works best while moving). It's very smooth and painless. Where I work there is a parking garage, I shift out of 4x4 right before I drive in and have 0 issues when on the dry cement. I've been up to 55 in the snow while in 4x4, that's the most I've felt comfortable with because of the slippery roads. I'm in my fourth Jeep (13 years worth), 2 of them needed the linkage lubed when I got them with no issues since. Good luck and enjoy your Jeep.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Shimma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JeepinNH,thats very encouraging to hear!!I've alot to look forward to,after the garage guys finish doing their checks,lubricating,timing fuel lines,change all the belts etc,well,replacing whatever needs doing,I gave them a list,of my wants,just having the new windscreen in will be tops,you ought to have heard the wind noise before!!I could hardly hear my new Alpine stereo at past half volume,no bull!! Shocking, an unbelievable cockup job by a Ray Charles lookalike auto glass person....!! cheers for your response...Jim
mikerhona

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeepinNH is quite right, it's the old adage 'use it or lose it'

Shimma, I have a 99 4.0L Cherokee Ltd Dual Fuel
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys doesn't he also have to be careful with the model 4wd system he has? I thought that the common part-time 4wd system which is what I have and agree with all things here. But didn't the rules apply a little differently if you had say the commandtrac system or was that just on the Grands? Curious on that as my mech says the 4wd systems were different. Maybe not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: