Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dana 44 CJ Swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CherosR4Us

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Dana 44 CJ Swap Reply with quote

hey
i am still looking to buy a Dana 44 to swap in my cherokee. i was wondering if the Dana 44 from the CJ5's would work. specifically a 74 CJ5. they have like 4.10 gears and a posi so i was wondering if it would swap directly in. thanx.
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not wide enough, CJs are wanting to get the D44 out of some of the 87 - 89 Cherokees to give them a wider track. Look for one out of a FSJ Wagoneer or go with a Ford 8.8 from a 95 or newer Explorer (disk brakes).
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
jppilot61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my rear axle disappears from my 99 Explorer, StreetDoc is my First Suspect!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
CherosR4Us

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanx. do u know wat explorers have 4.10's as gears and i have read some come with a limited slip. so if u know wat specific explorers come with that, that would be sick. thanx.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 8.8 Explorer axles are coil sprung, so you would have to weld on new perches to get them under the rear of an XJ.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have one out of a Cherokee, I don't need yours (yet).
As far as coils or leaf springs, I don't remember, but there are several kits available to put them under YJs so it sould fit under a XJ also. Alot of this depends on how much work you are able to do yourself or how many knowledgeable friends you have. I had a lot of friends because the work I had done on my YJ was way over my head and to expensive to pay somebody to do. Friends are very nice!

Stay away from my transplanted XJ axle rofl
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explorer 8.8s are leaf sprung but the perches are not in the correct place for Jeeps. They're close, but not where exactly right. They can be used but will pull in the leaf packs a bit (at least on YJs, XJs should be similar). To put one in a TJ, you'll need a bracket kit and will have to set up the brackets for the coil sprung 5-link or your respective suspension setup.

Finding one with 4.10s and a limited slip is not hard. I couldn't tell you the trim package or associated options...but they do seem to be more common in Explorer's that had the towing package or the V8. I would recommend checking the diff tag for the ratio or calculating it by counting the teeth on the ring gear and dividing that number by the number of teeth on the pinion. To help you're search, try car-part.com. Any Explorer 8.8 from 95-01 will also have rear disc brakes. I found my 8.8 with 4.10s and limited slip by calling salvage yards in my local phone book. I paid $300 for mine. The 4.10s and limited slip are a premium and you will pay more.
CherosR4Us

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx alot. im guna probably do this. but wanted to know if the ford 8.8s have birfields on them. if i recal that is bad for wheeln. thnx for info.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't have any joints in them. The Explorer 8.8 is a rear solid axle application.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: