Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom Cowl Intake -- Opinions Please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dippert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Custom Cowl Intake -- Opinions Please Reply with quote

I've been at college for the last 8 months, so i havent been able to tinker on my jeep. the good news is that i've had PLENTY of time to read the forums and get ideas on how to do things right. i've decided my first project (after i get back from the May 6/7 Paragon ride, YAY) will be a custom cowl intake. i have seen about everyone on 5 different forums. sorry if the picture is a little...bad, i'm not an artist. but here's the concept:

the silver outline will be aluminum, the yellow is the air canister w/ a powerstack filter from intense performance

when i go home for easter i will be taking measurements to make sure everything will fit, i may use aluminum for the whole thing, and ditch the plastic tube...we'll see what happens.
i'll update next week

p.s. i barrowed the donor picture from itsakeeper over on the Rubicon Owners Forum. THANKS

THE INTAKE SYSTEM CONNECTS DIRECTLY TO THE COWL W/ FLEX HOSE, THE FILTER IS NOT OPEN, THE CANISTER PICTURED ABOVE IS COMPLETELY CLOSED, SAVE FOR THE 2 OPENINGS FOR INLET AND OUTLET

Last edited by dippert on Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so unless i'm reading this the wrong way, you are going to put a cone air filter directly above the valve cover in the back part of the engine compartment???? why???
________
universal health

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dippert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio_vette wrote:
so unless i'm reading this the wrong way, you are going to put a cone air filter directly above the valve cover in the back part of the engine compartment???? why???

its just to the left of the valve cover, b/c that is the only place it will fit that i know of, until i get to my jeep w/ a ruler this weekend. i'll take a pic of my engine compartment and photoshop in the planned modifications

i edited my original post after i realized it was unclear about the intake continuing into the cowl, and the filter will be in the canister, not exposed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offense, but that's pretty dumb.

you factory airbox is in a "somewhat" cool place. locating your air intake closer to the engine like that will increase the temperature of the air that your engine sucks in. you always want to move the air intake as FAR AWAY from the engine and any water ingestion as possible. so either remove the stock airbox and place the cone filter there with a heat shield around it, or get/build a snorkel.

if you put the cone were the stock airbox is, there is a chance of ingestion water if you play real hard or go swimming.

if i'm correct, the picture you showed above is for a mod where the intake is placed inside the cowl to help keep dust out in some of the desert states.
________
Sports Activity Series

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dippert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio_vette wrote:
no offense, but that's pretty dumb.

you factory airbox is in a "somewhat" cool place. locating your air intake closer to the engine like that will increase the temperature of the air that your engine sucks in. you always want to move the air intake as FAR AWAY from the engine and any water ingestion as possible. so either remove the stock airbox and place the cone filter there with a heat shield around it, or get/build a snorkel.

if you put the cone were the stock airbox is, there is a chance of ingestion water if you play real hard or go swimming.

if i'm correct, the picture you showed above is for a mod where the intake is placed inside the cowl to help keep dust out in some of the desert states.

your correct about the intake coming from the cowl, but we're talking different things about air temp, the air comes straight from the cowl, thats colder air, and i'm putting a rear facing vent to funnel the air into the cowl (rear facing is better for this, i've researched everything i can find about this)...just because my filter is right next to the engine doesn't mean its hotter
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=679&highlight=cowl+intake
that setup is basically the same thing as mine, he has two tubes that run just as close to the engine as mine, the only difference is that the stock box is still there, if i didnt' want to free up space in that area (where the stock box is at) i would do what he did. if anything that air would get hotter than mine b/c it spends more time under the hood
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the air filter is enclosed in something???

so if i got this right, the air comes in the cowl, down into the airfilter that's sealed inside of something, and then to the throttle body???

that would make since. are you doing it strictly for the stealth purpose, or why did you choose this route???
________
Honda CL200

dippert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio_vette wrote:
so the air filter is enclosed in something???

so if i got this right, the air comes in the cowl, down into the airfilter that's sealed inside of something, and then to the throttle body???

that would make since. are you doing it strictly for the stealth purpose, or why did you choose this route???

http://intenseperformance.com/products/parts/parts.html
the filter is enclosed in that
its intended for external snorkels but it'll work for what i want

i chose to do it this way b/c it raises the intake above the rest of the engine, so if i'm in water, i'll have an electrical problem before i hydrolock. also, its cheaper than an ARB and can't get crushed by rocks
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see...............now it makes sense. i've thought about something like that, but i like the look of the external snorkel. now i just have to decide if i want to go with the hummer style or the ARB style.
________
Mazda 787B

dippert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio_vette wrote:
i see...............now it makes sense. i've thought about something like that, but i like the look of the external snorkel. now i just have to decide if i want to go with the hummer style or the ARB style.

i'd go w/ the hummer style if you like external...you can always make some sort of quick disconnect pipe that goes above the windshield, and itll only get messed up if you roll over w/ a tall pipe, the ARB will get crushed if you roll onto your side, the hummer will also be cheaper if you do it yourself...
i'm eventually going to extend mine into a full hummer snorkel but not until i get a new daily driver and decide to make my jeep street ILlegal,
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody know of some links for hummer snorkel writeups, pics, and parts???
________
herbal vaporizer

Gamgan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/snorkel/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: