Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power windows, power door locks and keyless entry installed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ione

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Power windows, power door locks and keyless entry installed Reply with quote

Today a friend and myself just got all the above insalled in my 06 TJ unlimited. Since this was our first shot at this, it took somewhat longer to install. After it was complete it works great, even to the tailgate which needs more fitting than anything else. And the keyless will do many more things than lock and unlock the doors and tailgate, but I am thinking a person might have to be a little more electronic trained than the two of us. If anyone out there is interested in installing these items, I would be more than happy to share any problems that we had and how we got thru them.
Facilitate this

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the kit you used to do such a project?
Ione

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Power Windows I used Electric-Life JE12 1099. Actually they seem to be as good as factory. The sitches are a little light but work fine, the motors seem to be powerful and run up and down as fast an any factory windows I have had. Purchased thru Summit Racing Equipment.

For the Power Door Locks I used MES Central Door locking Kit supplied by A1 Electric Automotive.

For the Keyless Entry I used the Valet Moedel 712 keyless Entry system also purchased thru A1 Electric automotive.

A1 is also a dealer for Electric-Life but seems they are having problems getting the product. The windows are mostley just bolt in existing holes and I mounted the switches in the spot where the window crank was at. I thought about putting the switches in the console, but did not want to figure out how to plug the crank hole.
sting234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Power windows, power door locks and keyless entry instal Reply with quote

Ione wrote:
Today a friend and myself just got all the above insalled in my 06 TJ unlimited. Since this was our first shot at this, it took somewhat longer to install. After it was complete it works great, even to the tailgate which needs more fitting than anything else. And the keyless will do many more things than lock and unlock the doors and tailgate, but I am thinking a person might have to be a little more electronic trained than the two of us. If anyone out there is interested in installing these items, I would be more than happy to share any problems that we had and how we got thru them.

I'm interested in how you did this. I have the actuators in the doors, but am interested in how you mounted it in the tailgate. Also, how are the instructions for the power windows, as that is my next project (I'll be buying the same one you got).

Thanks for your help.
Ione

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sting234
The tailgate actuator is about the same thickness as the inside of the tailgate. Be sure you install it far enough towards the hinges of the tailgate so the lock cover will be able to snap in the slots. If the actuator blocks those holes it might be a problem keeping the cover in place. There is also a round stem in the lock cover that goes in a round hole when it covers up the lock. I trimmed the stem off some for clearance. I bent the linkage rod that comes with the kit with two 90 degree bends to clear the lock mechanism then I bent it up at about 45 to 60 deg to attach to the factory lock rod. I attached it as far up as I could so the travel would be as straight up and down as possible. They always tell you the rod must move straight but that is impossible to do when the original lock rod moves on a radius when you unlock with a key. But it works fine with that small side to side movement. About all you see of the actuator is from the rubber boot up. I only used one screw to hold the actuator as you have to force it down in the tailgate to begin with. I used about half of the linkage rod supplied. The way I figured out the bends. I took a piece of solid copper ground wire that was a little smaller than the linkage rod in the kit, and bent it at angles till I got it at what I thought was the best fit. I hooked power to it and it worked so I knew if the copper would run the lock then when I bent the supplied rod it would work. I was glad I had a vise to bend the linkage rod. And remember you have to run all those bends thru the end of the actuator after you get it bent. Another thing I did not use the relay they supplied so you could operate the tailgate seperate from the doors. I didnt see a need. So next week I am going to fix it so the parking lights will blink when locking and unlocking the doors and if I need a relay I will use the extra one I have. Good luck on your installation and if you can't figure out what I have typed I will try again. I have been impressed on how many posts have had information that was so easy to understand. I dont feel typing instructions is one of my strong points. BTW the windows work great and instructions were right on.
sting234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Power windows, power door locks and keyless entry installed Reply with quote

Do you happen to have some schematics for the wiring? I have two wire actuators and SPDT relays and switches.
Ione

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Power windows, power door locks and keyless entry instal Reply with quote

sting234 wrote:
Do you happen to have some schematics for the wiring? I have two wire actuators and SPDT relays and switches.

I did not use this system but I believe this should help. I also installed a keyless entry and they supplied the wiring diagram.

http://www.emiata.com/KeylessLocks/JeepWrangler.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: