Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't shoot! I need to build a Cherokee "Lowrider"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N'ERDOWELL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Don't shoot! I need to build a Cherokee "Lowrider" Reply with quote

I transfer to and from a wheelchair to my 1998 2dr 4wd Cherokee and have been trying to find a way to lower (momentarily) the ride height to ease access, then raise to normal ride height for operation. I've been told it can't be done, and I've been told it would be fairly simple (however no specifics were forthcoming.) It would probably be much simpler to just go out and buy a different vehicle but I really like my Jeep.

I've tried the lowered front springs and single leaf fiberglass rear springs that the Archer Brothers developed when they raced Jeep Comanche trucks in SCCA. The problem was that they left the height fixed in the lowered position and, as I often go offroad for hunting and fishing, they just weren't the optimum solution.

I've also reworked the power seat base to allow about 2 more inches of down and rear travel and have installed a lower profile drivers seat. I've considered dropping the floor pan under the drivers seat to lose even more altitude but the tranfer case/transmission tunnel defeats that approach. As things stand, I can manage the transfer but it could still use some work.

I've watched with amazement (and envy) as the Lowrider guys drop their rides to depths that sometime seem below pavement level when I would be overjoyed with just 2 or 3 inches less height. I realize this is way out of the normal but am still hoping to find a way one of these days.

Any ideas or resources would be very much appreciated.

Thanks! And please don't tell anybody.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the low riders use hydrolics and/or air bag suspension

i would think the airbags would work fine up front but the rear leaves is whats going to be difficult
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out some lowrider forums possibly. Or ask some vatos. I would think that you would be looking for something that would require the installation of some hydraulic pumps, ala the Black Monte Carlo in Training Day- that was a swett Lolo......

Finger

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
badger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydraulics are illegal in most stated to be used on the road.does that stop people from using them no.now airbags on the other hand are legal in most states and it could be used to help you.would it be cheap nope .if you have the cash anything can be done.upfront wouldn't be to hard .you could place an airbag atop the spring post like a budget boost block.this air bag could drop the front up to a few inches even more if you extended the post some.the rear would have to be done one of several ways.1 completely get rid of the rear leafs and replace it with a 4 link and airbags.2 get a soft set of leaf springs then add an airbag atop of it like they do for tow vehicles to bring the back up.

seems simple to me its just a matter of how much are you willing to spend just to keep a jeep.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grand cherokees are 4 link in the rear, no its not a cherokee but still a jeep none the less...
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: lowered Reply with quote

Would dropping the front as low as possible without touching the rear end be enough? You'd have quite the angle until the front was re-pressurized but unless it makes it tougher to get in it may not matter. Just a thought.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this setup is actually for TJ wranglers only. but the general concept may give you an idea.

since the front of a cherokee is the same as a wrangler, the only thing you would have to do is fabricate the rear to accept this system.

while this is intended for lifting, you maybe be able to set your rideheight just a little lower and then raise the jeep when you go offroading. i'm not sure if i remember this correctly, but this lift can also lower itself a tiny little bit. but don't quote me on that.

http://www.offroadonly.com/products/suspension/airock/airock7.shtml

or.............please don't be offended, i'm not trying to make fun of you..........would it be possible to "lift" the wheelchair???
________
Henry Ford Hospital picture

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my worn-out leaf springs on my '66 Mustang, I used Gabriel airshocks to help keep the rear in the air, so that my tires wouldn't scrub the fenders. Maybe you could use those in addition to those fiberglass leafs you were talking about in your first post. Get yourself some on-board air, and you can air-up and air-down whenever you want.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
badger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renegadestang wrote:
When I had my worn-out leaf springs on my '66 Mustang, I used Gabriel airshocks to help keep the rear in the air, so that my tires wouldn't scrub the fenders. Maybe you could use those in addition to those fiberglass leafs you were talking about in your first post. Get yourself some on-board air, and you can air-up and air-down whenever you want.

not the best idea.you are then supporting the vehicle by two small shock mount studs.they were a bad crutch for cheap people back in the day.thank god you don't see many people using them today.i don't mean that as a personal attack or anything but they are a bad option for anything

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
telam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go with the air bag system and then use one of the brackets from a YJ coil conversion kit to replace the rear leaf set up. Then pick your own airbag shocks and coils and there you go. Never done it, never heard it, but it sure sounds like it would work.
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badger wrote:
Renegadestang wrote:

not the best idea.you are then supporting the vehicle by two small shock mount studs.they were a bad crutch for cheap people back in the day.thank god you don't see many people using them today.i don't mean that as a personal attack or anything but they are a bad option for anything

Yea, I knew it wasn't the best way to go, but I couldn't afford new leafs at the time. Luckily ( Confused ) I got hit in the side, which broke my leafspring, so the insurance paid for two new ones. I then went back to my KYB Gas-a-just.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
mad_dog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: rear air bags Reply with quote

today i was watching power block on spike tv. they took this one ton something or other and bagged it. the front coil over was an easy drop in. but on the rear they removed the leaf spring and the kit converts it over to a four link set up and the lower link using the factory forward spring mount and there was a few brackets they bolted in for the upper link, bags and such. it didn't look too hard to install. probly have to fab everything for an xj though. but the idea is basically the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: