Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DC dark paint problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreiwe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: DC dark paint problems Reply with quote

I am looking at a 2000 Sahara, trying to replace mine that was stolen. It appears to be in really good shape other than a dent on the back. I can live with the dent. THe bigger problem I am having is that it is black. DC has had problems with the black paint. The paint on the hood is flaking off, looks like sunburned skin that is peeling. I am not sure if it is only the clear coat or all the paint. DC paint seems to have problems. Am I looking at more problems down the road or do you think if I repaint the hood i will be ok?
cleaver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has also had problems with his black paint. He bought his tj brand new from the dealership in 2003 or 2004, and the paint just looks like it's craking and peeling. But it is only on his grill and hood. The dealership fixed it, but only because he had purchsed some kind of super warranty that cost him his left nut at the time.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC just doesn't know how to paint a car, much less a Jeep. Most of their paint jobs have problems, mainly the "orange peel" effect...black just shows it more. My solution was to just wheel on tight, overgrown trails. It's so scratched up now you don't even notice the flaws in the paint job. rofl

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 97 doesn't have any paint deffects that are noticeable.

My Morning Jacket
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleaver wrote:
cost him his left nut at the time.

Gee...that's just too painful to even think about! shock

My '88 MJ had that problem though. Looked really bad (to say the least). I didn't care though. With the POS 4" lift & shocks it had, I was more concerned about my kidneys surviving than the paint. Rolling Eyes (Wish I'd known about OME at the time) Sad

The wife's '95 XJ has been just fine. We bought it new in late '94. And I've not had any problems with my '02 TJ dark green...yet. I guess the XJ and TJ had a bad batch of paint. rofl

But I too would probably just do what ThePhantum suggested. I think that is a grand idea! thumbs
lonejeeper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my '99 black paint is just fine. No orange peel, no flaking etc... must be a hit & miss sort of thing.

lj
bgreiwe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I ended up skipping the Sahara due to the paint problems. I ended up choosing a 2001 silver TJ to try and avoid any paint problems.
blooba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a dark blue 04 TJ that had paint problems months after pulling off the lot on the front end. they repainted but did a crappy job so gonna get a custom paint job on it with many many layers of clear and hope it lasts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Body & Paint All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: