Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adopted Cherokee starts won't idle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plym_46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Adopted Cherokee starts won't idle Reply with quote

I just acquired a 99 cherokee sport from a repo auction. 4.0 auto, command trac, 88,000 miles. It was involved in a light front end colision, drivers fender header panel, bumper. Bumper brackets bent but no subframe involvement. Battery had been discharged and disconnected by the recovery jockies. I charged the bat and reconnected.

Starter cranks engine at normal speed, must step on gas to get the engine to fire, it will start and run at part throttle, but when gas pedal is released will not idle and will stall. It will restart with throttle slightly opened.

Everything under the hood looks to be fine, wires all connected, all hoses and vacuums tubes lines look to be in good shape.

Also does not appear to have dashboard lights.

Any help would be appreciated. Planning on using it this late summer early fall to tow a travel trailer on the Lewis and Clark trail, planning on doing some back country and trail driving, want to get it running, get it to the shop and get everything checked out. Body damage is all bolt on stuff.

Thanks in advance.
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently had similar symptoms, it would run when i gave it throttle, but when you let off it would just cut out. the IAC motor just had to be cleaned, at idle when the butterfly valve is closed it allows some air to bypass inorder to idle. Will be on the left side of the throttle body, looking at it from the front of the jeep. Just used some electrical parts cleaner, and cleaned the connections, put it in and it idled fine.
plym_46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. IAC is "idle air controller"? Sounds like a plan, I will give it a try. Will that address the need to press the gas to start issue also?
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, mine kind of seemed that way, it took quite a while of cranking and gasing it before it would start, but cleaning fixed it luckily ($50 IAC)
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: front end damage Reply with quote

Seeing it has front end damage check the round plastic vacuum bottle behind the passenger side of the front bumper. If it is damaged then you will have a vacuum leak which can give idling issues. You can plug the vacuum side of the hose temporarily if needed.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
plym_46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fine, when I removed the damaged bumper, it was still holding some vacuum. What is that for???? Is it just a reserve for the heater damper motors, or is there a bunch of vacuum powered stuff??? Thanks for the reinder, I left the line open when I removed it, hafta plug it with a sheet metal screw.
NVRSTUKXJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if the 99 has one, but on my 90 there is a ballast connector (forget the proper name) on the D/S fender (inside) that is supposed to quiet the fuel pump or some such thing....if the wires are loose or not making a good connection, you get this problem......I had the prob on saturday....hope it helps
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: vacuum canister Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it's mainly for the heater controls but obviously will throw off the whole system if leaking.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
plym_46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Found IAC very carboned up Reply with quote

Removed and cleande throttle body, and removed and cleaned IAC motor. Did not yet reassemble, but based on the looks of the carbon build up, I believe the brass piece was stuck in the fitting. Hopefully this cleaning will do the trick. we'll see tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: