Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D30/35 carrier questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: D30/35 carrier questions Reply with quote

Ok, I had a thread a while ago about paying 500 for a set of d30/35's with alloy axleshafts in the rear and a locker, and 4.56 gears, less than 2 years old. My earlier quesions were about swapability, (his axles are disconnect), but I thought about just switching the carriers? Can you do that? I do not know very much about diffs, I know someone skilled has to set the gears, but if that is done, can I pull the carrier and put it in mine? Saving my non-disconnect axle and just throwing the axle shafts in the rear along with carrier and locker.
So is this possible? I think for 500, (might go lower), alloy shafts, 4.56 gears (not too old) and a detroit is not too bad.....is it?
badger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally would never use a set of used gears and i would have a hard time using a used locker.i'm all about new but i do understand having to be on a budget so.....

a 30 is a 30 and a 35 is a 35 so yes you can swap carries from to another.i think i remember you saying something along the lines that you have a 8.25 out back,correct?now if i'm wrong and you do have a 35 out back then sure drop it in.now for the front.depending on what you have out front is dependant on if you can swap the gears over.if you have a high pinion and his is a low pinion then the gears are useless but the carrier can be swapped .your non disco shafts will work with that carrier.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
badger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is your old post

since you have abs you could use the rear and just remove the brake assembly and hang them up without disconnectiong the lines.then swap axles and bolt you brakes up the new axle done.

i can't remember or not if the 97 had a low pinion front i believe it did.if it did then the carrier and gears can be swapped from that housing to your housing then use your non diso shafts.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
srb96bravo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to space out what my jeep has evert time I post, I just need to add it to my signature... Rolling Eyes but
I have the dana's. What I was thinking is now that I realized it may be possible to just swap carriers front and rear and throw the axle shafts in? Would that be less work than swapping in the identical entire axles,(with all the stuff in them) and having to mess with the ABS switching and disconnect front axle?
Thanks a lot
badger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have answered this over and over ..............

just remove the brake assembly you don't have to undo a line at all just undo the whole backing plate off hang it up in the fender opening.swap the entire rear axle then bolt the backing plate along with all the brake hardware to new axle.

the front just swap carriers and keep everything else you have now

srb96bravo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badger wrote:
i have answered this over and over ..............

Sorry you misunderstood me, I was just asking which would be easier, carriers or whole axles.

That's what I think I deiced on, do the whole rear axle, just carriers up front so i dont get the discos.
Thanks for your help..
badger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i don't mean to have an attitude with you if thats what your thinking.the answers are there if you just go back.

switch the rear axle leave your brakes.the front swap the carriers its easier and better.

srb96bravo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, sounds like a plan...now just need some more $$$$ J.E.E.P.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: