Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHY OH WHY????? CONTEMPLATING SUICIDE!!!!!!! (jk)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBJEEP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: WHY OH WHY????? CONTEMPLATING SUICIDE!!!!!!! (jk) Reply with quote

Here's the deal:

2000 JGCL 4.7
100k mi
JUST replaced engine with one with 55k on it due to spinning a rod bearing

Had this problem for about 20k

Surging and rough idle. this problem is intermittent. RPMs dance all over the place upon startup. cleaned IAC valve. looked in good shape. cleaned throttle body and tested TPS, was ok.

the problem was going on before swapped out engine and after. even though after i had it swapped out it ran PERFECTLY for 1000 miles. didn't surge and idle was completely smooth.

what the hell is it? fuel rail system? vaccuum leak? ignition coil? plugs???? (Note on plugs: non-mopar plugs in it. about 30k miles on platinum autolites)

map sensor? cam posit. sensor????

Guys, this is making me literally beat my head against the wall everyday. i know with this new engine i should EASILY get another 100k out of it. but this damn problem is driving me INSANE.

i have a feeling this problem has already been posted. if you could reffer me to the thread, that would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
JBJEEP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, the codes i'm getting are for a faulty tps and open circuits on like every damn injector.

i know all my injectors aren't bad....but that something else is sending that code. so i'm going to replace my tps this weekend...

BUT, would that have anything to do with the idle? the idle problem is upon startup and when i pull up to a light or something. when i start, it revs up to about 2k and then drops to 800, back up to 1500, back down and then usually will smooth out.

and my surging problem happens whenever the hell it feels like it. flat roads, hills, cruising around town, high speeds on interstate.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tps is the sensor that controls where the throttle should be at my guess would be that it is your problem with the idle
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... Idle sounds like TPS.. they are cheap just change it out..

As for the open circuit on injectors.. I would look over the engine real good.. I would be willing to bet you have an engine ground that either didnt get connected or is not connected well.. That would give you an open reading when the computer runs its test...

If the grounds are not flat wires then check them out well.. Loose where they mount (engine or fire wall or whatever ) or a wire that is smashed or swollen..

Smashing a wire when you install it could break the wire inside the rubber cover.. and if a wire is swollen thats normally due to corrosion inside the wire..

After you have change the TPS and checked all engine and battery grounds..
Disconnect the battery and turn on the key for about 10 minutes.. This will drain the computer back up battery and should make the computer reset.. Then turn off the key and hook the battery back up..

See if that helps..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JBJEEP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are both right, it was a bad TPS and i found two grounds that i didn't like the looks of. so far so good. much appreciation jeep guys.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.. We are here all the time .. Just waiting to answer questions.. rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JBJEEP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still running well. been about 500 miles since replacing the TPS and finding THREE bad grounds. so i'm gonna keep my fingers crossed. I might just replace my whole damn ground wire.

Really apprecaite the help guys.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure thing man
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: