Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Perfect Recipe for Wildfires

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Perfect Recipe for Wildfires Reply with quote

Perfect Recipe for Wildfires

Dry, windy conditions and minimal rain have made conditions ripe for wildfires in most parts of Virginia. "We are in a very high fire danger and all of us need to use extra caution” stated Glen Stapleton, Fire & Aviation Staff Officer for the George Washington & Jefferson National Forests.
Campers and hunters should use a cookstove instead of relying on a campfire for cooking. If you must have a campfire, prepare the ground before you light. First, make sure you have enough water to put the fire DEAD OUT. Then, clear a 3-foot circle around the campfire, down to bare mineral soil. Use only dead or down wood no larger than your wrist. Break the branches into small sections to keep the fire small and reduce the risk of creating large embers that will be difficult to put out. Finally, never leave your fire unattended. The woods are dry and fires will spread quickly. If a campfire ignites a wildfire – you will be held liable for the cost of suppressing that fire.
Many counties in Virginia have a complete outdoor burn ban in effect due to the current drought. For more information on these bans and on Virginia’s 4:00 p.m. burning law which is in effect until April 30, visit For information on the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests visit

These and other News Releases can be found at the GWJNF News Release Page
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, check this out.
Last week I was coming home from West VA [from a funeral]. We get on I-81 in Broadway and take it all the way down to I-40. There were three different instances of fires being set off to the right side of the southbound lanes. I noticed that they started just south of Harrisonburg and were about 30-45 minutes apart. I got the impression that someone was setting the fires on purpose cause they were all on the passenger side of the road and three times in two hours is a huge coincidence.
All three fires caused traffic jams as there were several firetrucks there to put the fires out. Thankfully they were only brushfires and did not spread to easily. I know it has been awful dry up there and agree with you that fires are getting even easier to start in VA.
But hey, WTF do I know? I kick Hippies for fun.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Use Issues All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: