Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie seeks quick advice on install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
horizondesire

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Newbie seeks quick advice on install Reply with quote

I was hoping for a quick and dirty bit of advice...

I am venturing off road after many years of on-road automotive tuning and modification. I have just purchased a 1999 4.0 Cherokee and will take delivery on Saturday. I have done extensive suspension work on German cars, but have never ventured into the world of Jeep. I am curious if anyone can relate the complexity of a full lift install. Is this something that can be undertaken by a Jeep newbie?

Also, in my experience, it is often better to have local support if possible; many shops around here have Skyjacker, Rancho, Rock Krawler, and a few other lifts. Does anyone have any serious opinions on these kits?

I will be going up about 3 to 4 inches; I only want 31's (maybe 32's) and want HELLA articulation! The Jeep is only for off road (and driving to offroad), so road noise and comfort is of minimal concern.

thx mucho!!!

edit:

ok, after a few hours of research, I am leaning toward the Rubicon Express RE6130 Super Flex kit. I have found it for just over $1000.00. It implies no welding (bolt on)... any thoughts?

Will this get a newbie by for a few years?
jimmyhasajeep

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless im very much mistaken, no lift requires welding... you should'nt have any problems. its not that hard. good luck! good choice with RE too.. everyone seems to like em.

2000 XJ 4x4
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2084616
jppilot61

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently (Last Fall) began looking to lift my 92XJ and contemplated the less expensive options but also was steered towards and eventually went with RE6130.

See http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6174&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I am running 32's (Goodyear MTR 32 x 11.50R15 Tires) but if I had it to do over again I would try to get better tire clearance by doing more homework in the BackSpacing area!

I just don't think I could get anything larger (33's?) under there!

My wheels are Cragar Series 352 Black Simulated Bead lock Steel Wheel
15" x 8" / 3.75" backspacing / 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern

I have trimmed front fenders alot and have not yet trimmed rear fender flares but haven't really hit them either?

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are new to Jeeps but not new to wrenching...so I think you'll be fine. I would suggest that you do some searches and find some writeups on lift installs. There are some writeups on this board, but also try searching the link list on http://www.links4jeeps.com.

The instructions that come with most kits are less than stellar, so any additional insight is always helpfull.

Good luck.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
horizondesire

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the feedback, gents (ladies?)...

Since I will be dumping the whole wad on the suspension kit and tires/wheels, do you all think I will be safe without the SYE for a short while (a few months; maybe 1000 to 2000 miles)?

I can probably swing the transfer case drop; that is pretty cheap.
majikxms

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how your Jeep takes the lift, every one is different. Pre 97's are less forgiving on lifts over 3" and only require a T-Case drop where 99's may need a SYE over 2". Like I said, every Jeep is different and that means in the same year. You will at least need a T-Case drop to start, but plan on getting the SYE.
Graybeard

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find some more info here: http://www.superlift.com/suspension/

Graybeard = newbie rockstacker

http://www.cowtownjeeps.com/
RockOn

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a RE kit.
Good way to go because it comes with most of what you need. Buying parts seperately will cost more.

You will need to look at a drop pitman arm possibly. ( I have one but still need to install it, bought it off ebay)

Also may want to think about a beefy track bar. The track bar has always been the weakest part of my XJ. I have tried welding a PTO bar around it. Resulting in the bar breaking instead of bending.

Here is a link to a track bar I was thinking of getting. I have heard some peeps saying they have had good luck with this one. It is a bit pricy though
http://www.toysbytroy.com/Product_Files/Product_Alumi-Flex.htm

I don't know if 1999 has coils in the rear or not. If it does, you can get great flex out of it. If it has the leafs, there still not bad. There are some more flexible shackle designs available. I'm looking into these to lift mine higher. Although I have no problem tucking my tires into my trimmed fenders.

Keep in mind when you buy a SYE, you will need a new drive shaft. Measure this length after you lift it of course.

Gears & lockers are some of the best investments. I have 4.11 gears, wished I had gone 4.56. I have a Lockright locker in rear, wish it was a Detroit (although I have never had any problems).

Further more.... the best way to learn is by doing.

Have fun!
RockOn

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I got to lookign at the actual kit you are talking about. The RE 6130, I have the RE6111.

The only difference is the leaf pack, shackles, or blocks. Theorectically the 6130 should flex better, BUT...I can make my tires rub nice and hard in the fenders....so you can't flex much more than that! You might get more drop out of it, but I'm not sure...even if you did get a little more drop...is it worth that extra $$$?

Also, the transfer case drop kit (as they call it), is very cheesy! I would suggest making your own that is a little more sturdy. Would be easy to do & be much better in the long run. This is on my list of things to do this summer. Wish I had just done it to start with. I actually had one bolt fall out & lost one of the spacers.

Furthermore I bought an after market steering stablizer that mounts to the axle. This thing is way to low! I've been through 3 of them now. They always eat rocks (then usually bends the track bar), so now I take it off before any offroad adventures. Wink

A few things to consider, maybe they will help ya out.
mattyj074

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jppilot61 wrote:
I recently (Last Fall) began looking to lift my 92XJ and contemplated the less expensive options but also was steered towards and eventually went with RE6130.

See http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6174&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I am running 32's (Goodyear MTR 32 x 11.50R15 Tires) but if I had it to do over again I would try to get better tire clearance by doing more homework in the BackSpacing area!

I just don't think I could get anything larger (33's?) under there!

My wheels are Cragar Series 352 Black Simulated Bead lock Steel Wheel
15" x 8" / 3.75" backspacing / 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern

I have trimmed front fenders alot and have not yet trimmed rear fender flares but haven't really hit them either?

I have just fitted a 6130 kit, and the rear definately is sitting about an inch higher than the front now. I noticed that your XJ seems nice and level. Do the rear leaves settle down after a while, or did you add 3/4" spacers to the front.?
jppilot61

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed no/little sagging in rear. I didn't add any spacers in front either. Guess we just got lucky!

I have to add new picture of trimmed front fenders and guess I ought to remove flares from rear (although rear doesn't rub).

1992 XJ Laredo
mattyj074

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the pics of your fender trimming.

I definately need to get more agtressive with my trimming.... I think i might just run flareless.

i'll post some pics soon.
Currie SYE,CV shaft
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6174&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Some pictures of Front Flare REMOVAL and fender trimming (Midway down page one of the thread).

I just etched around top/outside of Flares, then removed them and slowly (methodically) cut along the line, to get a symetrical job).

I just cut straight across bottom, front to get a horizontal line there.

Then slipped on Black Door trim edging to keep from slicing my darn fingers off when disconnecting and such. I was going to glue it on, but I haven't had any problem with it coming off yet!

1992 XJ Laredo
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: