Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chugging

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamjk

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Chugging Reply with quote

Hi all, the old jeep seems to be having a few issues

First off the car starts up perfect, but after driving or idling for 5-10 mins it starts to want to cut out. It seems to me that its either giving too much gas or not enough which is causing it to backfire and lose power momentarily.

Currently i have checked the petrol pump, cleaned the throttle body, checked for air leaks, which i cant seem to find any. I have also checked for error codes and it goes through the full diagnostic test 1111111, 22222222,33333...etc but this doesnt throw out any error codes. Does this mean there are no errors?

im kinda stumped as it does run perfect always for the first 10 minutes when u start it, but then it all turns pearshaped after the cars been running for a little bit, also the car can be driving fine running around but then it can try cut out while moving, then it will all of a sudden get power again but seems a bit lumpy. Also when it tries to cut out u can hear it backfire.

any help or ideas would be much appreciated

oh the auxilary fan seems to be coming on all the time too, even when the car isnt overheating or just started up, could an issue with the thermostat sensor be crashing the fuel sensor or oxygen sensor?
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: chugging Reply with quote

Hello, you either need to put some info in your profile or tell the forum about your Jeep. Year, engine size, tranny, mileage. It's a bit tough to help when it is unknown to the cummunity. Chugging on an 1984 with a 2.8 is way different than a 2000 4.0. Obviously you have a newer Jeep because you are trying to pull codes.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
adamjk

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry my mistake

1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ sports
4.0 litre Automatic
125,000 kms
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: power issues Reply with quote

Well, it should bring up the check engine light if there is a code. Have you tried replacing typical items like: air filter, plugs/wires, dist cap & rotor? Also, have you run any fuel injector cleaner through it?

You say you've cleaned the throttle body but this year 4.0 has multi-port injection which means you have 6 injectors screwed into the engine running off a fuel rail so cleaning the throttle body will not clean the injectors.

All these items can hinder performance. Since it's intermittent you may have a position sensor on the way out but one that is intermittent is next to impossible to narrow down.

You wrote that the aux fan runs often, it will run when the defroster is on because the a/c pump is cycling otherwise it generally doesn't run much unless really warm outside or parked idling. I hope this helps you.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
diegelt

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have your throttle body position sensor checked out, I had a 1992 cherokee that liked to "chug" replacing it and some good injector cleaner may help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: