Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FM2CD, VAJGC & DSO4x4 at PAP - The writeup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: FM2CD, VAJGC & DSO4x4 at PAP - The writeup Reply with quote

Day 1 - Saturday April 22nd, 2006
It was cold and windy. It was also raining intermittently...not hard, but just enough to make the cold and wind feel worse. The plan was to take Trail 15 - Chicken Run, a Blue 2 first. It was the first trail we had taken last year and since a lot of us had done serious mods since then, it would be a level set for the weekend.

The climb up is not to hard, but you make the quick left and it's time to dive right in. There's a slightly less challenging path on the other side of that tree and a bypass that goes up and around:

Good stuff. But after that the bypasses go away. There's just rocks:

...and more rocks:

...and more rocks:

...well you get the idea. Damn I love Paragon!

Needless to say, It took a while to push 9 Jeeps across it. By the time we got out it was almost noon. We split up briefly at that point. Trail 15 continues for a few hundred feet on the other side of coal road. While most of the group ran that, a few of us went to check out our comfort levels with a low black at the far end of coal road...turns out we're not ready for that yet...maybe next year. So we all hooked up again at the end of coal road and ran trail 25 (Green 3) which dropped us out near Staging area 2 around 1 or 1:30 or so. So we stopped there and had some samichs.

That's also where we found out that Chris had busted a pass. side u-bolt on his front axle, but PAP was going to get him one by the end of the day and it wasn't completly disabled.

Anyway, around 2:30 Bonnie got a little bored and started doing donuts:

So we figured we should prolly hit a trail before she got REALLY bored.

Since it was already getting late, and we didn't want to end up late out of the park...again (see last year) and with a wounded Jeep, we decided to run a couple of green trails (Foundations - Green 2 & The Bunny Loop - Green 1) and then we hit the playground. We had been there for awhile, and Mark and I we're just about to go play in a new area we discovered when this happened:

I guess it didn't look that deep. So Chris made his way around to the back for access to his shackle while Jodi was freaking out about snakes while David and I were rigging up for a winch pull while everyone is snapping pictures...it was quite amusing. Susan had a rope that we used to throw to Chris so he could pull the winch cable out.

Here's what made the whole thing priceless...while Chris was setting up the rigging on his side, Trevors dog Yankee decided to investigate the situation himself:

Chris never saw Yankee coming...he looked up and theres a dog in his face.

Anyway, David winched him out. Did I mention that Mark got the whole thing on video?

After spending a little more time at the playground, we decided to call it a day. We went back to the hotel, cleaned up and all went to dinner at this little dive across from the hotel...you should have seen the look on the 70 year old waitresses face when we said "Table for 14 please...and we all want seperate checks."

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 2 - Sunday April 23, 2006

It was cold and overcast, but not as cold and not nearly as windy as Saturday had been. We decided to split into 2 groups: One - because smaller groups could move faster through trails, but mainly because there was no sense in everyone hanging around while we fixed Chris' u-bolt. So Bonnie, David, Jen and Susan (Group 1) headed to the park, while Allen, Mark and Trevor hung back while Chris and I replaced the u-bolt. By the time we got to the park and hit the first trail, it was already 10AM. The pictures (at least the ones I have) are much fewer...mainly because we ran 4 blue trails in just over 3 hours. It would have been much quicker, except for Squirrel Trail. It's classified as a Blue 1...but I think that needs to be adjusted. There's one obstacle on it that is no Blue 1....

...and that's the easy line. Needless to say Chris and Allen had problems without lockers. Chris actually almost made it, but ended up high centered:

We thought about winching him, but we tried a strap first which got him close...then we did what any civilized humans would do. We pushed, pulled and jumped on his bumper like monkeys to get him traction:

Then Allen ended up winching himself over. We spent over an hour at that one spot...on an alleged Blue 1 trail. By contrast we moved through a Blue 3 in under 45 minutes. It's tough to tell from the pictures just how gnarly that spot actually is. While we were there a guy on an ATV wiped out not once, but twice trying to get over it...the second time I thought he was dead. He wiped out and rolled down the hill, banging his knee on a rock. He immediately stood up, but was in so much pain he was oblivious to the fact that the ATV was rolling end over end right towards him. There just happened to be some small trees that stopped it about 3 feet before it would have taken him out.

After that we headed down to where Squirrel junctions with Turtle Trail and stopped for lunch. Group 1 met us there. I'll let Jen post up the follies they had...from what I understand, David ended up stuck twice. Both times he had to hi lift himself out.

We ran the rest of the day as one big group, sticking to low blues and high greens. I will say this, green trails are fun when you drive fast.

At around 4:20, we headed back to the parking lot. Chris trailered up his Jeep and he and Jodi hit the road. The rest of us went back to the hotel, cleaned up and went out for Tex-Mex. Then we hit the hotel bar for some drinks and good times before calling it a night.

I'd like to thank Chris from DSO for making out. It was great wheeling with you and Jodi and I'm looking forward to doing it again soon. I'd also like to thank Bonnie, Stacy and Susan from the VAJGC and all the FM2CD members who attended as well.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mitch DSO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted post up and say thanks to everyone for a great time. Jodi and I had a great time with everyone here. Can't wait to do it again sometime in the near future.

What do mean my Jeep can't do that?
Nessie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: PARAGON Reply with quote

Definate GOOD TIMES. I can attest that Squirrel Run won't no Blue 1.
It was a white knuckler for sure. My good times were when we were on Headless Horseman (Blue 3) and I hear Steve say let Sandy pull your Jeep up Allen. Well I did, Nothing to it right?, well it was kinda scary for me, nothing but rocks and trees, oh my, but Steve and Allen guided me through ok. Thanks guys Cool I did overrev the engine Embarassed, but I managed it. I had a blast. crazy jeep Let's do it again.
Happy Trails everyone
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you all had a great time!! I hope next year we can go Mr. Green
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here are the 2nd groups pictures from Day 2.

In the Second group were the VA Jeep Girls and David (He loved it).

We decided to head strait into the park. We started heading down trail 11 Valley Rd a 2wd road when David got stuck.

Well he got stuck on one of the little off shoots of trail 11, but still Laugh

Here are a couple of pictures of David getting some help form the girls.

Once David was moving again we headed towards Doe Run Trail 88 a Green 3. We were trying to find the Good the Bad and the Ugly (Trail 74) but never found it. Doe Run was not to challenging (well maybe for David) but it was a nice long ride. These pictures were taken along the way.

Doe Run Rocks dumped us out on Haul Road, Trail 32. From there we headed down to Rocky Meadow Trial 47 a Blue 2.

When they say Rocky Meadow they mean it as you can see in the picture below.

From Rocky Meadow we headed to Trail 46, Laurel Trail another Blue 2. While we were in between Trial 47 and 46, we decided some of the local plan life needed rescuing.

Trial 46 was the most challenging of the day and there we NO bye-passes either.

Everyone took it without to much difficulty, it just took us a bit to get all 4 jeeps through.
When we got to this section we ran into the VP. of Paragon. He was guiding a group of ATVs along the trail. Everyone stopped to watch us go through and the VP helped spot too.

Here are a couple of Pictures of Bonnie.

After Bonnie it was my turn.

then Susan

Then David’s turn, at which point he got stuck AGAIN!

This time David was stuck on his leaf springs, and it was about this time he started talking about doing a coil conversion and of course his wife was just rolling her eyes.

As you can tell from the big smile on my face, fun was had by all!

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
jppilot61

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size tires did David have again?

rofl

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jppilot61 wrote:
What size tires did David have again?

rofl

35s

Oh, who would like a copy of all the pictures on CD or DVD. PM me and let me know your media preference.

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does it, the first chance I get the springs are going over the axles. Jen sure likes to point out every time I got stuck, think about it, if you were being taken care of by all the girls wouldn't you spend all your time getting stuck also. rofl rofl rofl
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie posted this up on the VA Jeep Girls BB, I just had to share!

Big_Bertha wrote:
Guy goes wheeling with four girls. Cool Park entry fee, $35
Girls find tough trail. Laugh Mapping skills and maps, $5.00
Girls go through fine. Wink 33" tires and appropriate lift, $1200
Guy gets stuck. Rolling Eyes 35" Tires and appropriate body trimming, $1500
Girls save guy. Twisted Evil Priceless

Typical VA Jeep Girl trip. Wink

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of fun Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Events & Places All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: