Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stiff Ride.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattyj074

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Stiff Ride..... Reply with quote

I have a 98 4.0 XJ 4x4, with a 3" rubicon lift, Old Man Emu shocks & 31 x 10.5 bridgestone duelers on 15" x 8" Rock Krawlers with 3.75" back spacing.

My question is, it rides very harsh/stiff on rough roads.... meaning it doesnt feel very plush or very absorbent. I guess this is normal for this kind of lift. How do i get some feeling into the suspension? Would getting some sway bar disconnects help?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks for your time.
RockOn

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well getting a softer shock will be your best bet.

there is a trade off though...

if you carry a load, a stiffer shock will give you better control

if you hit bumps hard, a stiffer shock will give you better control

sway bar disconnects will not really affect ride quality that much, but you will have to slow down alot more in curves, and you will lose some control

gas charged shocks are stiffer from what I hear, ride ruff, but more durable

hope that helps give you some insight.
mattyj074

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Can you recommend a softer, good quality shock that may soften up my ride a little?
RockOn

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't know right off hand what will be softer.

Would suggest talking to some dealers. Do you have any businesses that specialize in off road products in your area? They Should (???) know what they are selling (hopefully). Maybe they can stear you in the right direction.

It maybe a little difficult considering most after market shocks are stearing towards beefier performance. They always advertise payloads, strength, and gases they are using. Rancho has the adjustable shocks, but I think they are expensive. A friend of mine had some Rancho & you could feel every pebble in the road.

I have the shocks that came with my RE lift kit. They have no name on them. They are not very big around either, but they are not very stiff. Although my suspension is very stiff.

I'm willing to bet that part of the stiff ride you have is from the suspension itself.

Good luck, sorry I cannot help anymore
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know someone has some Rancho RSX's on a Zj but that's a different kinda suspension than our XJ's but he really likes them. They are a little pricey at around $55 on EBAY I think but supposedly they adjust to the terrain automatically. As in when you are crusing straight on even road they are somewhat plush and when you hit a bump or enter a curve they stiffen up. Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: