Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
needinhelp

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Is it possible? Reply with quote

I own a rear wheel drive xj, i was wondering if i got the front axle and such from a four wheel drive of a simular xj shouldn't it be relatively easy to just pop it on there?

Also, how can you tell if you xj has a towing pakage?
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible? Reply with quote

needinhelp wrote:
I own a rear wheel drive xj, i was wondering if i got the front axle and such from a four wheel drive of a simular xj shouldn't it be relatively easy to just pop it on there?

Also, how can you tell if you xj has a towing pakage?

I have seen many 2wd XJs converted. Just need to get everything including bolts, mounts etc. should bolt right in

Also the towing package has either a 2"reciever, cheap ball mount and should have a plug under the bumper for light hook up. Also some have skid plates from the factory. Mine had the cheap ball mount and a light plug/instructions in the glove box.
needinhelp

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, do you know of anywhere besides a chiltons that would have all the parts that i would need itemized?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory Service Manual would be your best bet. Off the top of my head you would need:

Front axle
Transfer case
Shifter and linkage (including all brackets)
Front and rear driveshafts (on the rear there are differences in length between the D35 and the 8.25, so it helps if the donor vehicle has the same rear axle as the target)

You might also need the plug end for the wiring that goes to the Speedo gear on the tcase. I've also heard varing things about what's easier...swapping the tailshaft for a tcase on the tranny, or swapping the entire tranny out.

If it were me, I would find and buy the donor vehicle...that way if you need something else, it's right there.

Like Billy said, the towing package will have a factory hitch, but it will also have a factory tranny cooler and a full size spare.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need a new transmission or a different tailcone for your current transmission, also.
badger

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
You'll need a new transmission or a different tailcone for your current transmission, also.

actually its a new trans or a new tailcone and output shaft.which means you have to break down the trans to and replace the entire shaft.

like said above plus trans.

so its

front axle
front driveshaft
rear driveshaft
transfercase
transmission
interior center console
the shifter and linkage for transfercase.

it will plug right in

its easier to swap any parts like lift,stereo,bumpers,blah blah,etc etc over to the 4x4 then it is to swap drivetrain over

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
needinhelp

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ThePhantum"]Factory Service Manual would be your best bet. quote]

how would i go about acquiring one of those? also if anyone know of a 4x4 xj with a quality drivetrian they are willing to sell let me know
RockOn

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it would be cheaper just buy a 4x4?
Would be alot easier to buy a cheap one to beat up

If I had it to do over I would have a 2500 chevy, trailer, & a $500 Jeep!

But I don't, so I need a Chevy & trailer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: