Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mounting a spare

View previous topic :: View next topic  
needinhelp

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Mounting a spare Reply with quote

i was owndering if anyone knows for a braket i can get so i could put my spare on the back of my xj
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the sheetmetal on the hatch is not strong enough to support a spare tire. Some early XJ's came with a rear tire carrier, which attaches to the body and frame, but they can be tough to come across.

Aside from that, you are looking at an aftermarket bumper and carrier...which means $$$ unless you make your own.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look hard you might be able to find a factory one like I did. Problem, wide tires and tires bigger than 33s can take it's toll on it and harder to mount. I've had more people find the factory carriers up north like PA & NY. Make sure you get the rear bumper and all mounts!! Or get the main parts for the center of the bumper and cut the bumper for the parts to fit. Hope this helps Wink
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did a lot of research on this and settled on a new rear bumper/tire carrier combo. Others have made their own with some welding/cutting experience, but the bottom line is the factory sheet metal is not strong enough to hold anything 30" + in tire size. The frame is fine, but the metal just won't hold up to vibes and such. Other people settle for either a roof fabbed mount or one off the rear receiver hitch, but that area ties up a great recovery point. I even thought about mounting it on the side military-style, but side mirror laws wouldn't allow it.

So, your best choices would probably be:

1: 2" rear receiver attachment
2: rear bumper
3: roof mount or roof rack/tire mount

Otherwise it's the cargo floor for bigger tires. Neutral

Also note: the rear hatch shocks on XJs are notoriously weak, so they won't properly support any extra weight like a full sized spare.

needinhelp

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if my tires are only 29"?
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

needinhelp wrote:
what if my tires are only 29"?

You could try to find a factory tire carrier, bumper carrier (=$$$$$) or lay in it the back. I don't think you could mount a donut to the hatch, it's that flimsy!!
funkysaurus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A company in Australia called Kaymar Engineering made an awsome tire swing arm and bumper. Checker plate finish. I have one. I believe that they got to th US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: