Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kits to raise steering components?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockOn

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Kits to raise steering components? Reply with quote

Is there a kit to raise the steering components (like raise the track bar up)? I've seen pictures of people that have raised theres. Is this a kit or custom?

Thanks

here is a pic of what i'm talking about
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/Tahkesis/b6_1.jpg
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually the tie rod and drag link (the tie rod is the lower piece in the photo and the drag link is the one coming it an angle.) The one in the photo looks similar to the ORO U-turn system.
badger

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thats some of the ugliest crap i have seen in a bit. second thats a Wj knuckle.third if you are looking to move your steering up it starts to get custom.there are kits out there that will replace your stock steering with a crossover steering system .its then up to you to flip it or customize it to the top of your stock steering arm.to flip it on top you will also have to ream out the stock hole so the tapper is upward or drill straight through and use an insert.

there are a few companies that sell a peice that bolts on the passenger side knuckle giving you a second upper arm.here to you will have to customize the lower tierod holes to flip it on top of the arm.

last is TeraFlex which sells a whole new knuckle on the passenger side so you have an upper and lower arm.but again you will have to drill and use inserts to flip the tierod bar.

so to answer your question there are and there aren't kits to do what you want.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RockOn

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I like the idea of getting mine as high as possible. I have replaced it 3 or 4 times now. Hell 2 or 3" would help.

Thanks for the responces!
gtouimet

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few different companies offer complete steering kits to just flipping the tie-rod over the nuckle. Off the top of my head I could only think of rusty's offroad, but I know their are others. Try this http://www.rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=rustys&Category_Code=ste
badger

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with most over the knuckle steering kits is that you lose turning radius due to the tierod hitting the differential cover or the swaybar mounts.the second problem you'll run into is that not one of them corrects the trackbar angle to match you new draglink angle.

i would say go to NAXJA ,register if your not already a member and start searching under the term "High Steer" you should come up with plenty of hits .

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gtouimet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badger, what is it that you have on your rig? Do you have the problems you described? If not how did you fix them? Just curious, thanks
badger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well unless you are running a 44 up front with flat tops you aren't going to run my set up.when i first lifted in when i lived in Jersey i used a Tera knuckle and yes i got bump steer because i didn't raise the track bar.it also reduced turning radius due to the tierod bar hitting in the center of the front diff cover.

ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Currie steering system works very nicely, is bolt on, and will take a beating. However, it simply upgrades the stock setup.

There are some various "kits" out there...but none are cheap or easy to install. They all involve substantial cutting and welding. There is the WJ knuckle swap. All the parts you'll need and a writeup can be found on www.jksmfg.com in their knowledge base. A nice added bonus of the WJ knuckle swap is you upgrade your front brakes to dual piston calipers for better braking. Toys By Troy has a similar setup in regards to crossover steering but you don't have the brake upgrades.

There's also the OffRoad Only U-Turn steering. Nice idea for a bolt-on product but it screws up the steering geometry with the brackets for the knuckles. Otherwise, it appears to be a strong, durable unit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: