Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Superior Super 35 axles.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Superior Super 35 axles. Reply with quote

My 2001 TJ Sport has a Dana 35 rear axle, as I currently run 33ís I had a potential axle problem in the making. The fact that I have ABS limited my choice of a stronger axle set up. I investigated the possibility of a Ford 8.8, and modifying the ABS tone rings and circuitry to suit the Jeep ABS computer, this seemed a bit of a nightmare to me so I looked at the Superior Axles Super 35 solution. I read lotís of reports where people were happy with them, I read reports where people claimed they broke them, these claims always appeared to be dubious and when challenged they were usually unsubstantiated. Superior claim that the Super 35ís 30 spline axles are 40% stronger than the standard 27 spline axles and are suitable for up to 35Ē tires. I also need to regear so I got a couple of quotes and decided to have the job done at Hoaks 4WD Center in York, PA. I had the choice of the standard Detroit Soflocker or going for an ARB, while I would have liked the ARB the extra money was a bit much so I went with the Detroit. Two days later I picked it up, when I first drove away I thought Holy Crap! The axles loose! When applying power the whole rear end seemed to swing and twist and when you lift off it swings back. It was raining like crazy on the 40 mile drive home and I thought perhaps I should have paid the extra money and got the ARB, it seemed like it was all over the place. I was initially concerned about this new characteristic and my safety on the road. I persevered with it and by adapting my driving style slightly it became less and less of a problem. I now just drive smoother than I used too, I lift the clutch more gently, I apply power more gently and I lift off more gently. Now a month later I donít even notice it at all, I donít get the swing/twist when I change gear and even driving through the recent snow falls here in PA it behaved itself wonderfully. Iím not saying that this is the solution for everybody but it seems pretty damn good to me.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review. I think you've more than addressed your needs with a S35. Like ya said, ABS really makes things a PITA for ya. So, you've gotten used to the rear full-time locker I take it then. Any chirping or other noise when making tight manuvers in parking lots and what not? Glad it's working out, now we'll test it out soon eyebrows .
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering if Superior 30 up front was worth while with a move to 35s... this is the future talking, coupled with most likely 4.88s and hopefully lockers front and rear. Luckily, with no "dosh" (as Mike says), I have a ton of time to figure out what's best..
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I forgot to mention the odd pop and burp, It doesn''t even register anymore.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I think about it is when I pull into a parking space popping and skidding and women run to safety with their small children. eyebrows
And wait till you get it offroad. Mr. Green
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh one gets used to driving a jeep with a locker in it. I would think strenth is more then enough for you application. I rean a d35 with 4.56 gears in it and have a heavy right foot at times and other then breaking the housing it was perfectily fine when i took it apart and sold the innards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: