Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Platinum Spark Plugs @ 100,000

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixt

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Platinum Spark Plugs @ 100,000 Reply with quote

I went to the Jeep dealership because it's time for my '98 ZJ to get the 100,000 mile tune up. I got the service manager to copy the page out of his price/service manual to find out exactly what the tune up entails and what it costs. Not everything on the list applies to the ZJ because it isn't model specific but here it is:

REPLACE ENGINE OIL AND FILTER, TRANSMISSION FLUID FLUSH, THROTTLE BODY AND FUEL INJECTOR FLUSH, COOLANT FLUSH, INSPECT CV JOINTS AND FRONT SUSPENSION COMPONENTS, REPLACE SPARK PLUGS, ROTATE TIRES, ADJUST DRIVE BELT TENSION, INSPECT AND ADJUST POWER STEERING PUMP BELT TENSION, INSPECT GENERATOR BELT, INSPECT SERPENTINE DRIVE BELT, REPLACE PCV MAKE-UP AIR FILTER, AND INSPECT EXHAUST SYSTEM.

How much do they charge for this? It takes them a whole day and costs $674.95! For that kind of money I would hope that they would replace all of the belts instead of just doing a visual inspection. However, on the bottom of the page just below the pricing, it says that if parts must be replaced then there will be additional charges for the labor and parts. Also, they won't lower the price even though I wouldn't need a new air filter since I have the K&N filter system.

A friend of mine is a Penske diesel mechanic and can help me change out all of the fluids so I've decided to just do the rest of the work myself. The service manager and I went to the parts department so I could get everything I need. When he showed me the spark plugs I noticed that they weren't platinum. I don't know if the platinum plugs improve engine performance or efficiency but I do know that they have a longer lifespan and allow much greater intervals between tune-ups. But he told me that if I use the platinum plugs the engine would malfunction. Is any of this true? He said that you can only put in platinum plugs in vehicles that came with them from the factory. I found this odd since Bosch has a specific part number for platinum plugs for the 5.9 V-8 and it would seem to me that a spark is a spark regardless of what metal the conductor is. Keep in mind that this was the MANAGER of the service department that was giving me this information. Has anyone had any experience with switching to platinum plugs in their ZJ? Does this guy just not know what the hell he is talking about or is he just trying to sell me plugs with a shorter lifespan so that I will have to change them more often? I can't find any info on the internet that says that you can't or shouldn't use platinum spark plugs but I have found many places that sell them for the 5.9 Magnum V-8. I know the platinum plugs cost more but I'll pay the extra cost if I don't have to change them as often. If anyone has any experience with platinum spark plugs or if anyone has come across any information about switching to the platinum plugs I would appreciate any advice that you could give me.
-nixt

P.S. If the service manager was just feeding me a bunch of lies I'm not going to do business with my local dealership until they get their shit together and I may call the corporate office and let them know about what sorry management they have in their company- and mention to them that a "Trail Rated" badge isn't the treatment that they need to seek for the yeast infection that is the new "urban lifestyle" type of Jeep that they are designing with single speed transfer cases and independent suspensions.
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
viper24242

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember if I have bosch or champion plugs in my 5.2 but they are platnium for sure. I have not noticed any problems yet and it smoothed out the engine a little bit. I'm not sure if my enigine came with platnium plugs but the ones I took out of it when I changed them were platnium plugs. I would agree that a spark is a spark is a spark and go for the platnium plugs. They haven't done me wrong yet.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run the Champion Truck Plugs and I am very happy with them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: