Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stealing Gas and Gas Caps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razorbil

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Stealing Gas and Gas Caps Reply with quote

I am in an area where gas theives are prevalent. I have heard that my 1999 Wangler Sport has an anti syphon mechanism built into the gas tank. Is this true? If not, is a locakable gas cap a worthy purchase?
Thanks, Razor.
Muckaneer

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if there is a built in device, but I doubt I would trust it anyway. Especially if gas thieves are known in your area. If history has proven on thing it is that thieves are the most resourceful people around. As for a locking gas cap, it's a good option. I don't have one, but I always take my gas with me.
Muckaneer #1
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure to get the MOPAR locking unit (keyed to your ignition/door key) I tried an aftermarket cap (Stanley I think it was) and I immediately got an small leak EVAP code...no codes with the MOPAR unit...

YMMV

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Razorbil

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I am looking for a mopar locking cap now. You mentioned one that is keyed to the ignoition/ door locks already? Is this a dealer purchase? I've found MOPAR brand caps for $11-$30, but their stand alone key systems.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razorbil wrote:
Thanks for the info. I am looking for a mopar locking cap now. You mentioned one that is keyed to the ignoition/ door locks already? Is this a dealer purchase? I've found MOPAR brand caps for $11-$30, but their stand alone key systems.

Sorta, it's a dealer only item. You have to get it from the parts counter where they will key it to match your current ign/door key. I THINK it cost me ~$25.00 at the dealer (4yrs ago).

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: