Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

guys please help me!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: guys please help me!!!! Reply with quote

i recently purchased a 1976 jeep cj 5 with a 304 ci v-8 and it has been garaged for 17 years, and the owner said that the car ran the day it was put away.(17 years ago)the car will not start but only has 68,000 miles on it. i replaced the battery,the fuel pump, the coil,the ignition module,the spark plugs, and all of the filters. i searched for a short in the wiring and nothing met my eye what should i do....??? i need this monster to run
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the fuel tank drained or did the gas sit for that long too? When you say it won't start, is it not turning over or turning over and not catching?
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea the tank was drained and the car is getting fuel so i know it's in the spark. but yes the car does turn over it just doesnt start. do u think the timing might be off? or the wiring harness should be replaced? any ideas will help
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is anyone here going to help it seems pretty dead.......
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, check the timing if you haven't already and are you sure the spark is getting to the plugs?
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i did a spark test and nothing. which kind of confuses me because im traced everything back and all the connections seem good and un-harmed now ive replaced the battery the cables the ignition module the coil everything is bassically new when it comes to spark, i can think of two things either my wiring harness or my voltage regulator box. but i do not know how to test either and i dontt know what to do from here. thanks for ur advice so far. Very Happy
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys/browse_thread/thread/28bb9c15fa24b417/c33a85dee5b5f8a3%23c33a85dee5b5f8a3
I'm not sure if yours has the same electrical system, but you might want to check it out.
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i just spent about a week doing the whole solder thing and it didnt work.............. any ideas?
AZ_Mopar_Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: AAHH Electrical. Reply with quote

Another thought is to verify with a voltage meter that you are getting power to the ignition box itself. This power is fed from the ignition swith(electrical not key) if there is no power or if it is weak you will be dead in the water. The possibility of vermon tearing up the wiring under the dash could be good especially on something that sat for so long. verify you are getting this voltage then check to see if the signal is passing thru the ballast resistor if there is one then check to see if it reaches the coil. If you do not get any voltage at the ignition module go back to the switch.
John Bryan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Try This Reply with quote

Try isolating the engine so as to eliminate the dash or ignition wiring as the problem.
Let me explain, remove all elec wires from the starter solenoid. Remove all elec wires from the coil or dist. Make sure you are marking them for when you reconnect them. Next make and connect your cable from the starter to the battery, and another from the battery to the coil. Now connect a remote 2 wire starter push button 1 wire on the trigger wire side of the starter solenoid and the other on the power side.

All you will be doing is to basically hotwire the engine to get it to run...if this works then you know 1 of your wires (either ignition or trigger) are bad).
frozencircuit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john bryan... will u please explain that again... but as if i was retarded because im having a hard time understanding that... thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: