Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GC exhaust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turbo224

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: GC exhaust Reply with quote

Hey guys, I am looking at putting an exhaust system on my 99 GC 4.7. I was on ebay and noticed that the 93-98 systems are like $120, and the 99-05 are $350! Is there that much of a difference in the two systems? Can the 93-98 system be made to fit my 99? Thanks

-2000 Grand Cherokee Ltd 4.7
-92 Daytona IROC R/T (Factory pilot car)
-87 Daytona Shelby-Z w/ t-tops
-70 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk (project)
nixt

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: GC exhaust Reply with quote

I doubt it could be made to work. There are different aftermarket systems for the ZJ. The 4.0 I-6, 5.2 V-8, and 5.9 V-8 engines were all offered in the ZJ. The 4.7 wasn't offered, but I imagine that the different body style would require a different system. There were also different exhaust system parts for different year ZJ's due to the different number of sensors in the exhaust; pre-1996 have ODBI and 1996 and later have ODBII. The 5.9 also has larger pipes than the 5.2. You also didn't say which part of the exhaust system that you were interested in putting on your GC. Headers, just a muffler, or a cat-back system? If it is just a muffler, you could probably make an aftermarket muffler work since they are generally just measured by input and output diameter and which side each is on. You also didn't mention which brands you were looking at. I know that Borla, Dynomax, and Magnaflow make cat-back systems. A cat-back would probably improve your performance more, but if you just want to get a more aggressive sound, then go with just a flomaster muffler.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Turbo224

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only really intersted in a catback system. I would probably prefer the dynomax system being that I am pretty satisfied with their products on my turbo dodges. Speeking of which, does anyone even make headers for the GC 4.7? I have seen them for the Dakota 4.7, but im not sure if they would fit bcause they are different vehicles. Thanks for the help.

-2000 Grand Cherokee Ltd 4.7
-92 Daytona IROC R/T (Factory pilot car)
-87 Daytona Shelby-Z w/ t-tops
-70 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk (project)
nixt

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: GC exhaust Reply with quote

I'm not all that familiar with the 4.7 engine, but I have noticed that many of the aftermarket parts for it will include disclaimers that they may not work on the H.O. model. I have seen advertisements for headers for the 4.7 but I don't know if they would fit your particular application. It would seem that the 4.7 headers for other applications could be made to fit your Jeep as long as there is enough clearance.
I noticed that you mentioned a turbo in your post. If you don't go into extreme off road situations, you may be able to use your exhaust system to get an incredible power boost. STS turbo replaces your muffler with a turbocharger located under your vehicle. It has advantages to an underhood turbo in that you don't need to mess with the engine belts or accessories and won't increase the heat under your hood. It's not for me since I take my Jeep off road and I would likely end up smashing the turbo since it is not as well protected as it is located under the vehicle.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: