Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

87 XJ FLUID CHANGE COMPLETE, WHATS THE WAY??THANKS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobs

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: 87 XJ FLUID CHANGE COMPLETE, WHATS THE WAY??THANKS Reply with quote

Hello All,
I have a stock 87 Cherokee 2 dr, 4.0 5 sp 231Transfer case, dana 30's with 307's. I want to do a fluid change on this one what the budget method and then what else is possible. I drive generally on the road, Very little 4X4 use. Thanks Ahead of Time. Happy Driving to You All!! Bob.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing the mileage or what's been done to it recently, hard to say. But basically at a major service, I change the oil and filter, lube everthing, change the transmission, differentials, transfer case, air filter and flush the radiator. I try to do it all at the same time to keep better track of when things get serviced. Let me know if you have specific questions about how to some of the services.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobs wrote:
I have a really hard to getting to the front u joint off the transfer case?? Very tight any suggestions?

On the driveshaft? Do you have a greasable u-joint, or what are you trying to do?

bobs wrote:
On the fill levelís for the front and rear ends? Is the rule one knuckle the way? Then the transfer case how high?

I fill them both till the fluid is at the bottom of the fill hole. Be careful with the differentials because it's quite a bit thicker than normal fluid and won't flow as easily.

bobs wrote:
I need to know the correct fluids for the transfer case and the tranny and the front and rear ends.

Grab a Haynes manual from your local parts store. The t-case will take ATF and off the top of my head, the axles and transmission will use 75W90. I use synthetic in all of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: