Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lessons learned

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamgan

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Lessons learned Reply with quote

First let me clear up that I have the mechanical know how of a garden gnome.

Plenty of enthusiasm but very little practical knowledge.

So with my Haynes Jeep repair manual and a cheap $40 set of tools from Western Auto I decided to try do a few projects on my 98TJ Sahara.

I bought her used with 114k miles on her, 2 previous owners and very little TLC was ever given to her, so its up to me to try and fix up a few odds and ends to bring her up to speed.

After reading several threads on the subject I decided I wanted to undercoat the chassis of my jeep. She came from Pennsylvania and New York where they salt their roads ( or so Iím told) and apparently no one ever bothered to rinse her out afterwards and she shows a lot of rust on her undercarriage.

Also all of her black trimming had a lot of white waxy film on it. My friend told me thatís residue from products like Armor All and others like it after being applied too much and left to cook in the sun for a few years.

Some of the black plastic parts where just sun bleached too.

So with good intentions and little real idea what I was going to do I pulled out my brand new Western Auto tool box !!!

My goal was to test out a undercoat paint from Home Depot since I donít have access to products like Hercu-liner. And to replace the rear bumper caps since I had backed up into a small tree trunk a few weeks before and bought a used set on ebay for $4.00 plus shipping

First step: Remove old bumper caps

Find correct size of Allen wrench to unscrew rear bumper caps.
Notice they are not moving.
Look up my Haynes manual. Stuck bolts and screws = Saturate with penetrating oil.
Drive to the local hardware store and buy another can since my brother * borrowed* the one in the garage.
Saturate bolts, wait a few minutes, saturate some moreÖ. And a little more just in case.
Bolts still wont move.
Try to unscrew them with a little more force. My allen wrench bends out of shape.
Try with a little less strength. Allen wrench now looks like a sharpened pencil.
Toss * new * allen wrench in trash borrow my brothers sears bought allen wrench
Bolts are now stripped.
(insert profanity)
Fetch power drill with a small cutting disk and proceed to cut every single bolt in half, stripped or not
Hammer them out

Noticed that its now its to late to do anything else since I just spent the last 3 hours of sunlight fighting with 6 small bolts.

Pick up tools, head back inside and stare hard at my fiancť when she asked me why I wasnít done yet and why I havenít washed her carÖ..

Next step; Remove front and rear bumpers, then paint them.

Last edited by Gamgan on Wed May 31, 2006 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next step: Hand fiance bucket and sponge rofl

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
viper24242

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kygreenyj wrote:
Next step: Hand fiance bucket and sponge rofl

spit
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: