Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

towing with a 98 XJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfurd

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: towing with a 98 XJ Reply with quote

I am wondering what you all think about the realistic towing ability of a cherokee.

I've got a 98 XJ with tow package. it says it will tow 2000 lbs. straight or 5000 with a weight distributing hitch.

I have these fantasies of towing a 18 ft, 3000 lb airstream trailer.

Am I nuts? Does anyone have any experience with towing anything at all with their Cherokee? How much have you towed?
majikxms

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason why it says it will only tow 2000 lbs. Please don't be the next America's Funniest Video winner.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much it can tow, but I'll tell you what I've done with mine. I've hauled a fully loaded 8ft. covered and uncovered. I've hauled a 16ft. flatbed with a full load of industrial roofing tin (used in a buddy's garage). I've even moved (not towed) a 26 foot covered trailer (for my high school band). The jeep almost bottomed out, but I never had a problem with it. Keep in mind I said moved, a little over 200 yards. Also, I have towed a pop-top camper of about 2,200 lbs. (315 lbs. tounge weight) through the mountains of North Carolina.

I don't know what that means for you, but that's what I've done, hope it helps.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book is more or less a guide, yeah you should stay pretty close within reason if towing for long distances. But if you have an auto expect a little more. I have a '91 manual 4wd and have done the same as monkeyman with about the same weight, close to 3k and had to run 3rd gear for the most part but she did it. Also have towed my boat a 21 foot cuddy around 5k pounds about 150 miles. She got a little hot and I could only hold 4th at around 55mph but wouldn't recommend this for long periods. But with an auto and tranny cooler, shouldn't be a big issue for your fantasy. Good luck.
plym_46

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: just towed a 20 ft Coachman from Scranton to Syracuse, NY Reply with quote

This was the first trip of over 10 miles I took after picking up my Cherokee from a repo auction. Nuts or Lucky? Made it. GVRW or the trailer is 3000 lbs. so probably a 2400 lb load empty. I did this with a bumper hitch ( class three to be added) and w/o trailer brakes (working trailer brakes highly recommended) I had a couple of white knuckle moments mostly due to the ignorant actions of others. Also consider a sway elimaintor with your hitch set up, very effective when being passed by semis and busses, and in cross winds. We plan on using this set up to do the Lewis and Clark Trail this fall, with hopefully some back country trail touring thrown in. In a previous Cherokee an 88 2wd drive model, I regularly towed a Honda Civic Si hatchback (1900 lbs) on a 800 lb trailer.(again with a bumper hitch and no trailer brakes)
during the winter for participating in Ice Racing. This set up served me well for 4 years.

And by practice manufacturers ratings ar probably conservitave. As long as you don't put 2000 lbs of stuff in your trailer or your Jeep, and drive gently. You should be OK. My humble opinion. Also during my trip i pulled the trailer 150 miles of fairly hilly highway, I then drove the Jeep an additional 90 miles on 16.5 gallons of gas for about 14.5 including the tow.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that on a BUMPER HITCH??? Wow hats off to you plym and I'll bet those knuckles turned more than white..lol Wink I was scared doing it with my class 3 haha. See it's a jeep thang.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: