Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

water pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: water pump Reply with quote

My 98 5.9 has been pissing coolant all over my driveway. I believe it is the water pump. I'm now at 100,000 miles and I'm looking for a replacement. I was wondering if anyone has swapped out a waterpump before and if so, how difficult the job will be. Also, I've seen aftermarket pumps for about half of the price of the genuine Mopar parts and I'm wondering if the price savings are worth the risk. If anyone has any experience or advice on swapping the pump out, I'd appreciate the input.
Thanks,
nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
raytech

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in the same boat. Just replaced the rad, and the water pump is shitting out..
I am checking prices tomorrow. can't be to bad of a job to remove and replace.
nixt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: water pump Reply with quote

What year is your Jeep and do you have 5.9? When you replaced the radiator did you use OE Mopar parts? I read about a Novak replacement aluminum radiator in 4wd & Sport Utility magazine. I was thinking of adding a transmission cooler and possibly a power steering cooler if I was going to upgrade the radiator. I read about using Mopar parts and adapting them to work on NAGCA. It mentions piecing together the various parts for a tranny cooler for the V-8 since it isn't sold as a kit. It goes on to show how you can use the I-6 tranny cooler for a power steering cooler on the V-8 because it mounts on the opposite side of the radiator from the V-8 version and the 6 cylinder tranny cooler can be purchased as a complete Mopar kit. I don't know why they don't sell the V-8 cooler as a complete kit. I assume that you could just add the 6 cylinder cooler on the V-8 if you don't feel that you need the cooler for the power steering. I'll post the links below in case you haven't seen them.

-nixt

http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/98TransCooler.htm
http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/steeringcooler.htm

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Jeep Iceland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mopar Pump includes more parts,including the small O-ring needed.
The replacement took me 1 1/2 hour.

To remove the fan you need a big wrench and a hammer,hit the wrench to loosen the big fan nut.
You need good pliers too for the removal and install of the small hose on top of the water pump.

I put gasket sealant on both sides of the gasket included.

That's about all I can remember.
1976 Trans Am
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/531601
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: water pump Reply with quote

The 5.9 has an electric fan instead of the engine belt driven type like the other Mopar V-8's to save a few horses. So I'm guessing that the whole repair and removing of the fan will be a little different. I still don't have the factory service manual but now I am definitely going to use the factory Mopar parts instead of aftermarket ones.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Melling High volume water pump.. It works well and came with everything I needed.. That heater hose that comes off the back is a pain in the butt to get to .. Its probobly the hardest part of the whole job..

Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: water pump Reply with quote

Swampy,
I'm interested in your reply to the water pump thread. I don't know what the specs are for the Mopar factory water pump for the '98 5.9, but do you think that an aftermarket high volume pump actually has a higher pump rate or higher pressure? I don't know if the pumps are measured in either quarts/gallons per hour or in the metric liters per hour. I've searched the 4 Wheel Drive Hardware, Quadratec, Summit Racing, and JC Whitney websites and I haven't been able to come up with anything. The 4wd Hardware and Quadratec sites have waterpumps but none for the 98 5.9 ZJ. The Summit Racing and JC Whitney sites have pumps for the 5.9 Magnum V-8, but none specific to the Jeep. I really want to be careful about ordering an aftermarket part that isn't specific to my 98 5.9 because I've learned the hard way that this application has many parts only for this year and model Jeep. For instance, when I needed a new starter, my Jeep required one that was only used in the 1998 Jeep application. The Durango, Ram, and Dakota 5.9's all used different starters and the 5.2 Jeep starter wouldn't work as a direct replacement either. I know that the 5.9 was tuned for performance so it has some parts that were specific to the Jeep application. Even the Mopar R/T parts for the Durango and Dakota 5.9 were different. I did come across an aftermarket one on ebay that was for the 98 5.9 from a manufacturer called Gates. But I don't think that it is any better in performance than the Mopar part, it is just cheaper. So my real question is: Where did you get your replacement pump? Is it available from a national retailer? I couldn't find anything about it when I searched Yahoo.
I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Jeep Iceland

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
I used a Melling High volume water pump.. It works well and came with everything I needed.. That heater hose that comes off the back is a pain in the butt to get to .. Its probobly the hardest part of the whole job..

Mr. Green

Damn right it is pissed Mr. Green
1976 Trans Am
Jeep Iceland

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: water pump Reply with quote

nixt wrote:
Swampy,
I'm interested in your reply to the water pump thread. I don't know what the specs are for the Mopar factory water pump for the '98 5.9, but do you think that an aftermarket high volume pump actually has a higher pump rate or higher pressure? I don't know if the pumps are measured in either quarts/gallons per hour or in the metric liters per hour. I've searched the 4 Wheel Drive Hardware, Quadratec, Summit Racing, and JC Whitney websites and I haven't been able to come up with anything. The 4wd Hardware and Quadratec sites have waterpumps but none for the 98 5.9 ZJ. The Summit Racing and JC Whitney sites have pumps for the 5.9 Magnum V-8, but none specific to the Jeep. I really want to be careful about ordering an aftermarket part that isn't specific to my 98 5.9 because I've learned the hard way that this application has many parts only for this year and model Jeep. For instance, when I needed a new starter, my Jeep required one that was only used in the 1998 Jeep application. The Durango, Ram, and Dakota 5.9's all used different starters and the 5.2 Jeep starter wouldn't work as a direct replacement either. I know that the 5.9 was tuned for performance so it has some parts that were specific to the Jeep application. Even the Mopar R/T parts for the Durango and Dakota 5.9 were different. I did come across an aftermarket one on ebay that was for the 98 5.9 from a manufacturer called Gates. But I don't think that it is any better in performance than the Mopar part, it is just cheaper. So my real question is: Where did you get your replacement pump? Is it available from a national retailer? I couldn't find anything about it when I searched Yahoo.
I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BRA%2D1790&N=4294924500+4294908280+115&autoview=sku
Make JEEP
Beginning Year 1998
Ending Year 1998
Engine Type V8
CID 360
Liter 5.9
Engine Size 5.9L/360
Engine Family Mopar small block Magnum
1976 Trans Am
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh... My bad.. I have a Melling Oil pump..

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&krypto=Rz76uq7FgzwqwYh3Vjw4wqQx4S0Km5IWuQOslhAsucLl7DOeEUNroFwJYT%2fYui%2fNe1wX7P6Oxbge%0a5%2ffBssZUrZvZOQXrruINgc7iiBvBfMgMq0eQhpqB56yRWbcMho9m93mmFoVzlOcmim8JExxkrpJU%0aXKEF2oPo0wM9p6yNV11GViH4PILP4vBHCIeIqF58Bp%2fmV%2fG2N5ZnQKXmixsuNnLvS8kA892Tw%2fG5%0aIaXIRd2tDta6ZB9uQ21oX%2bFf2b%2bo69GxfXapjuaScxT74n4YqnOm%2bDTG5sxsZ3vZ6rLUObQ%3d&ddkey=OrderItemAdd

I have the same Flo cooler pump that Nixt just posted...

But anyway.. its Hi volume not high pressure.. So it will flow more water but not create more pressure.. (same with oil pump.. )

Sorry for the wrong info.. Embarassed

But I would have found the right one when I looked at my Jegs garage info.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
raytech

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I changed my pump today and it was under 4 hours start to finish (with supper in the middle).
BUT I have a 4.0, not the 5.9. I would assume about the same amount if time. I had a real hard
time getting the pully off of the water pump though. That was about a half hour of work alone, plus
removing the studs from the old and putting them on the new pump. Was a simple job.
mikerhona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raytech, what year is your 4.0?
Ive just changed my water pump this week, yes week, had to mess with it for a couple of hours after work on Tue/Wed and fitted the new pump today Thursday 13/7. Mines a 99 and as you may know to get the pump off you have to move the power steering pump, to move the power steering pump you have to move the air-con compressor, not to mention the little steel block in between. Then you can take the water pump off, I'd like to meet the guy who designed that bit of the Jeep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: