Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cherokee...Bad U-Joints?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eggdashure

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Cherokee...Bad U-Joints? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have two Cherokees, one a 99 the other a 98 that's lifted 2 inches. My question has to do with my 99. Coming from the front end, I believe drivers side I can hear a metallic scraping sound the stays constant with vehicle speed, not engine. Could this be a U-Joint going bad? The other thing I notice, possibly unrelated, but when I have the A/C going it really taxes the engine, much more than my 98. So much so that often I get the belt squeeling until it warms up. And when the A/C clutch kicks in and out at idle you can hear the engine really grumble under the stress. However, it still chills like a champ. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Also, anyone know of a good write-up on rear discs for Cherokee's?

Matt Smile
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discusses Rear Disc Conversion:

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xj44part2.html

Let me know what you do, I need to do this eventually too!

Maybe this fall in off season.

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: noise and a/c Reply with quote

Check the u-joints by turning the wheels a bit, jack up one side and spin the tire. You'll hear it if it's bad.

As for the a/c, mine does the same thing. It's seems to drag the engine bad enough that it hesitates and bucks at low rpm driving. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this issue too.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
eggdashure

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with my mechanic brother in law, he said my sound is most likely my wheel bearings dying and that I should replace the hub assembly. As far as my A/C, he said it is probably ready to fail and of course it's something that I don't dare and try to replace myself with all the high pressure. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the comments.

Matt
beaumecxxx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi you might want to check this discussion (I just posted my latest success solving this problem):

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=55476

I just replaced my front U-joints and the clicking problem is solved.

I suspect that you might be having similar problems with worn front U-joints. I also first suspected the wheel bearings but it turned out the U-joints were at fault and the bearings were perfect.

It is very easy to check if the U-joints are defective. Crawl under the jeep and check for any play in the U-joint at each wheel: there should be no play either axially or radially.

Hope this helps.

Beaumecxxx
eggdashure

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

So Far:
I have replaced the Hub Assembly and while I had everything apart I also replaced the Axle Shaft U-Joint. Tossed everything back together and I still have that metal on metal noise at 40MPH + Grrrr pissed

My Bro in Law took it for a drive and when turning to the right (putting the weight on drivers side) the noise eased a bit, weight on the passenger there was little to no change.

Anyone have any other ideas what might be causing this noise? Could it be something to do with the front diff? Eck, I hope not!

Thanks,
Matt
beaumecxxx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eggdashure, maybe these things sound too simplistic but I am a firm believer in the KISS principle for solving life's challenges: Keep It Simple Stupid !!!

Please I am not saying you are stupid, just that often the simplest solutions can be overlooked.

A couple of ideas:

1. After I replaced the U-joints I also had a metal on metal rubbing sound coming from one wheel. There is a splash shield (looks like a 2/3 plate) mounted next to the Hub Assembly. In all the banging & struggling to get the Hub out I had bent the splash shield. So it was constantly rubbing on the wheel. I straightened it out and problem solved. Maybe too simple...but worth checking.

2. I am sure you have checked, but are you sure there is enough oil in the front differential? There are only so many things that can grind metal to metal..... a dry differential being one of them.

Best of luck

Beaumecxxx
eggdashure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left that dust sheild off, I had a hunch about it too, but I still have that noise. As far as the Diff fluid goes, I replaced it like a month ago and had this noise prior. Question, with the fluid filled to specs, can some get "sucked in" and lower the level? I'll double check it to be sure.

Thanks,
Matt
Mangina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That squeeling when you run your ac is very common. My 2000 used to do it. I just adjusted the belt tension and tightened it up a bit. It can also be fixed by replacing the belt. Do not replace your ac compressor!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: