Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skyjacker lift kit?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Skyjacker lift kit? Reply with quote

So, I'm gonna be lifting the TJ soon. I'm thinking about the Skyjacker 2.5" (soft top) kit along with some rockcrawlers and 32"x11.5" MT's. The kit comes with Front/Rear Coil Springs; Lower Links; Bump Stops and Transfer Case Lowering Kit. The package I'm looking at also comes with the Softride Nitro Shocks all for $600 (not including S&H). The part # is TJ251KSTN.

Before you tools say "Why don't you go higher?"...this is a b-day present for my fiance. She does not want to go to 3" (or higher)...what she really wants is a BB, but I'd rather do it with springs....

So the question is, does anyone have any expeience with this particular kit? How it rides, how it wheels, etc....

TIA

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that size lift, you should realy consider the OME kit. I believe you'd be much happier. You shouldn't need to lower the transfer case with that small of lift, but every Jeep is different.

Chuck
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, in terms of price they are about the same. This will be a DD but I want it to be able to perform offroad as well. Since I am more interested in flex, I'm looking for a softer spring that will give the most articulation I can get out of the suspension (with a 2.5" lift).

So, with that in mind, what are the pros and cons of each? Which will flex more, what will I sacrifice in onroad ride, etc.

Steve

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
-DouG-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to agree with above ... My OME rides better than stock (will keep her happy) and flexes great!
[/QUOTE]

posin' on a stump

[/quote]
-DouG-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw -if your fiance's TJ is a sport with canyons or gamblers -you can use those with the 32x11.5s... actually you should be able to put those tires on 15x7s - but you'll have to make sure the axles are centered (duh) and might have to put a washer or two in the steering stops...

...perhaps 'crack will show sum pics of Chris's TJ....
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purged my pictures the other day and dumped the TJ with 32's on 15x7's Confused . It is doable, but ya definately wanna check the clearance between the tire and the rear spring perch and obvioulsy add the washers to the steering stops. No experience with either lift, but after we put PAJeeper's lift on (OME), I rode in it and the ride was fantastic. I'm not sure what load rated coil Dug has (they can be had in three different flavors), but I've wheeled with him and lack of flex never seems to be an issue Smile . I'd go with OME if for no other reason than the shocks.......best damn shock I've ever run Mr. Green .
-DouG-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the heavy duty...
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out, seems a reasonable deal.

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/New_Folder3/OME.htm
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is a good deal for the OME stuff...

Our most popular kit! Beautiful ride and handling AND EXCELLENT off-road capabilities with the ability to fit 33" tires. Kit includes 4 OME Shocks, 4 OME Coil Springs, (Light/Med. or HD coils) Rear Bumpstop Spacers, Rear Trackbar Extension Bracket, JKS Swaybar "Quicker" disconnects, JKS 1.25" Body Lift and JKS Motor Mount Spacers.

.....and a mml, bl, and disco's Shocked .
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so, this is the same as my setup apart from I have the MORE Bombproof MML. I have the medium springs on mine. And as you say the ride is excellent.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff guys! Thanks for all the input. That's exactly what I was looking for...some first hand experiance. I've been swayed and I'm gonna go with the OME kit now. I'll probably get the mediums...it'll make for a smoother onroad ride and most likely flex a little better. That is an awsome deal that DPG has. Hopefully it's still goin' on in a couple of weeks when I've got the cash to pick it up. Since it comes with the BL as well...I might end up with 33" x 12.5"'s....woe is me. Crying or Very sad

I knew I could run 32"x11.5" tires on the Canyons...but we both think that the TJ will look really good with a set of black steelies on it. I'll end up getting 'em with between 4" and 4.75" of bs, so rubbing should not be a problem.

Since I'm not getting the SJ Nitros, as far as shocks go I've heard good things about OME's and DT3000's...so I'm kinda still torn there. I would love to put a set of Rancho 9000's on (with the interior control, of course)....but I'll save that money for the XJ. Mr. Green

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that to run Canyons with 33x12.50's you will need wheel spacers. Rolling Eyes
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAJeeper wrote:
Remember that to run Canyons with 33x12.50's you will need wheel spacers. Rolling Eyes

haha...yea...I dislike spacers as well. You actually will spend more on a good quality set of spacers than you would on some black steelies. So what's the point? Confused

We decided on black steelies and BFG MT's for it a long time ago...so the Canyons are as good as gone (they'll probably be for sale once the lift is in). I'll be ordering everything (lift, shocks and rims) within 2 or 3 weeks. So I'm hoping my mid-March I'll have it done...we'll see. I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks again!

Steve

Quote:
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
PAJeeper wrote:

haha...yea...I dislike spacers as well. You actually will spend more on a good quality set of spacers than you would on some black steelies. So what's the point? Confused

Canyons, Gamblers, or any other alloy wheel will provide a much better balance than those cheapass steelies. You get what you pay for...the quality on steelies isn't there. Alloys are lighter too....less mass to get spinning. I'd rather spend the money on spacers if I have alloys I liked. But here in PA, they are illegal and I don't feel like switching back and forth for inspection....so I run 33x10.5s.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
I'll probably get the mediums...it'll make for a smoother onroad ride and most likely flex a little better.

I would get the HD, only because you'll be kicking yourself in the ass when you load up your ride and have the rear end sagging with the extra weight. In my opinion, the OMEs are the best engineered design for a lift spring. They don't sag a lot, they flex awesome, and ride smooth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: