Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMC 20 Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kab5437

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: AMC 20 Questions Reply with quote

i want to put a detroit locker in my amc 20, and while i was in there putting some 4.56 gears along with a 1 piece axle. But do i need a locker if i have a 1 piece axle. thanks
Arty155

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I used to have a CJ7. The main weakness of the AMC20 is it being a 2 piece axle so upgrade that IMO, but that is only dealing with axle strength. Putting a locker in will give you better traction when one or more wheels come up off the ground. You will have an axle that will be stronger IMO than a D44 but you need the locker for better traction. If you have the money to do both I would.
Jeff
kab5437

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks arty155, i know that a locker means more traction, and i know the weakness lies with in the 2 piece system, if the axle gets too much torque, it will twist, and the gears wont mesh, causing it to snap. But i wasnt sure if a differential would prevent this from happenin. i found a 1 piece axle conversion on ebay for about 85 bucks including shipping, hoping for some advice on whether i should buy or not. thanks again
fishontro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont waste time with someone elses junk, it MAY be good, but why risk it. I have Yukon 1-pc, with 4:56 on 33". Im running a Ford T18 as well. I plan on putting 4 welds around the tube and adding a truss untill I have may D60's built and ready to swap in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: