Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Pressure seems a little low....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
omega1300

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Oil Pressure seems a little low.... Reply with quote

I got an oil change done a while ago, and lately have noticed that my oil pressure gauge seems to be reading (i think) a little low on the highway (just under 40). I was wondering if maybe the guys damaged my oil sending unit during the change? My Jeep seems to drive perfectly fine, and nothing is leaking, so maybe nothing is wrong? Any advice would be awsome guys. And if I do need to replace the sending unit....any writeups around, or advice on how I would go about doing it? THanks!

1997 XJ 4.0 automatic
Joh's jeep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an interesting observation: after an oil change (did it myself) pressure dropped to 30 PSI at highway speed, even lower on a hot engine (4.0 l six). Because the engine runs just fine, I ignored that.... ....after the next oil + filter change, the pressure was up again to over 40. It may be that contacts of the oil pressure unit were dirty, so pulling off the cable connection to get better access to the filter might have cured the "problem". Alternatively, I wonder whether a "bad" oil filter could have irritated the oil pressure sending unit? So, I do not have a real answer to your question, but my experience at least indicates that there may not be a reason to worry too much! Hope this helps a little.
Johannes
omega1300

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know yours went back up with the next change at least, it sounds like we had/have very similar symptoms.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil pressure for the 4.0L is known to fluctuate. The Factory Service Manual rates a minimum of 15 psi and a maximum 75 psi. So, anything in between is fine.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
omega1300

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks Phantum! I was hoping you might chime in, you really are a walking xj encylopedia! It's probably good I'm not your neighbor, or I'd have a new question about every six seconds lol.
omega1300

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, one new wrinkle. Today when I started it up (one of the many times I started it up) the check guage light stayed on for about 2 seconds before the oil pressure came up and the light went out. Does this happen once in a while, or is this something breaking? Something to worry about?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: