Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turbo City

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Turbo City Reply with quote

I was looking on the internet for a new performance air intake system to replace my K&N filter element and I came across this. It is a dual air filter intake system from turbo city. It is only $159.95 plus the cost of the filter elements. The K&N kits I've seen all run from $230 to $340 and the AEM, AIRAID, and Volant intakes all run from $210 to $270. This turbo city unit appears to place the intakes over the valve covers. Has anyone used the Turbo City intake? Or does anyone have any experience with Turbo City products?
-nixt

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?products_id=107
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
raytech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, you don't want your air cleaner(intake point) over your motor. You want the coldest intake charge you can get.
nixt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gathered that I don't want the intakes directly over the valve covers. That note was made in some of the reviews on the Turbo City page. The reviewer had built heat shields to go under the filters. But I'm still amazed at how much cheaper the Turbo City unit is over the competitors. Which intake would you suggest? I've had experience with K&N products as I have their airfilter now. Would you suggest the K&N unit or would you suggest one of the others with reusable filters but dry filters not the kind that you have to oil. My goal is to gain alittle performance and (hopefully) fuel economy. I'd like to hear from anyone that has installed an aftermarket air filter system.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hood vents and I used to have the Turbo city intake .. I loved it... Of course like I said.. I have hood vents and it I was getting fresh air into mine...

The heatshield Idea is a pretty good one also.. It will at least keep from sucking up the heat from the exhaust manifold...

YOu can put longer hoses on that Turbo City intake and move the filters out towards the front of the engine bay....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nixt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampy,
Do you think that the stock hood vents on a 5.9 would be sufficient to let heat escape? What type of hood vents do you have? You also mention that you USED to have the turbo city intake, why aren't you running it now? Furthermore, what type of intake are you currently using? I'm seriously considering the purchase of the turbo city intake not only because of the dual elements but because of the lower cost compared to other units (and hell, if it's good enough for swampy, its good enough for me). I read the reviews on the turbo city website and there were complaints about the intake contacting the hood. However, if I just buy the intake and air filter elements instead of the entire stage 1 upgrade I believe that there will be no clearance issues. I believe the problem arises when the 3/8 or 1" spacer is added to the throttle body. If I do get the unit I'll probably try to use your idea of hoses to try to relocate the filter elements.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those vents will work fine.. I have vents off of a Pontiac Z34 on my jeep..

I dont have the Turbo city anymore because I made the snorkle .. I use a filter canister like this now.

from Intense performance..

If you look around the bone yard you can find the tubes you need.. Just open up some hoods and see what they have.. When you find one that will work snatch it up.. I used one from an 88 CRX for a while.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
unforgiven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaawww geeez swamp wha' happened to the good ol' paint can? i thought that was a slick way ta start the project lol
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to find filters that fit in the paint can.. And this looks much more pimptastic... Mr. Green

I have a few more pics of my grand with new wiring installed I will have to get posted soon..

unforgiven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey is the new canister from the crx as well or just the sweet lookin pipes?
and yes it definately is sweet lookin setup there
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then canister is from Intenseperformance.com the tube is from a CRX..

They are easy to find in most auto parts stores.. I just got lucky and found one in the bone yard..

That is not a picture of my setup.. I have a V8 so my filter is on the drivers side..

But it looks almost identicle.. I have to get a new digi cam and post some pics of my newest project...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: