Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clunking Front End

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrugenus

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Clunking Front End Reply with quote

I have a 2000 Cherokee 4X4. I here a clunking noise that is consistant with the rotation of the tires coming from what seems like the right front. This noise usually only occurs after I have driven at least 10 miles. I only here it at speeds lower than 35 mph. The noise stops completely when applying the brakes, even applying them lightly. When I park for a while and then drive it again the noise goes away. Any ideas?
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been getting this same problem, and i have no idea what is either.
any help would be appreciated
tarheel4x4

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try tightening your track bar.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the track bar maybe see if the caliper is hangin up? Or even the wheel hub or u-joints on the 4wd?
beaumecxxx

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Clunking front end Reply with quote

Hello, Mrugenus exactly describes the clunking noise I get in my 1988 Jeep Cherokee with 5 speed manual, 4.0 engine and Command-trac system. The sound seems to occur once per tire revolution and seems to come front the front right corner of the Jeep.

My Jeep shifts into 4WD High and 4WD Low without any problem. To shift out of 4WD I always back-up a few meters, but disengaging the 4WD is easy.

Today I did some tests and the results are curious. The clunking can be heard at low speeds (up to about 35 mph) in 2WD. The clunking is there even if I am coasting downhill in neutral with the engine running. If I shift into 4WD High or 4WD Low the clunking noise disappears. I spent 1/2 hour driving round at slow speeds and alternating between 2WD and 4WD, and for some reason 4WD (both High and Low) gets rid of the noise.

Because the Jeep clunks in 2WD going straight I suspect that the track bar is not the issue (the track bar is used when turning I believe???). I get the impression that there might be 2 causes to the clunking:

1. Something to do with the calipers/brakes (maybe the anti-rattle clip or some other wire is catching).

2. The Command-trac axle shift motor is not fully disengaging, causing a little clunking sound. Maybe the vacuum motor is not fully disengaging the right drive shaft?

Because the shifting in & out of 4WD is a vacuum based system, I found this PDF file very useful. It includes vacuum diagrams and descriptions. http://jeepgarage.free.fr/OWN/transfer%20case%20command%20trac%20diagnosis.pdf

This was taken from a very good site about Jeep Cherokee:

http://jeepgarage.free.fr/main.html

The site is in French and English. Thank you France!!! Razz

Any further ideas are very very welcome....

Beaumecxxx
Ricko70

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Clunking Front End Reply with quote

mrugenus wrote:
I have a 2000 Cherokee 4X4. I here a clunking noise that is consistant with the rotation of the tires coming from what seems like the right front. This noise usually only occurs after I have driven at least 10 miles. I only here it at speeds lower than 35 mph. The noise stops completely when applying the brakes, even applying them lightly. When I park for a while and then drive it again the noise goes away. Any ideas?
The problem is with your brake pads, they are too loose in the calipers. They either have small clips to hold them snug or a anti-rattle clip.
Sometimes after market pads are not made to the correct tolerances and have to be "adjusted" to fit right by flattening the lugs that anchor them.
You don't want them too tight ( they have to slide in the caliper) but tight enough not to rattle.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: noises Reply with quote

Asside from the brakes it could be the u-joints in the front axle. They are always spinning when the vehicle is moving and a change in load can make the noise change. It's easy to check, just jack up each front wheel and spin back and forth. Also do it with the wheels turned slightly. Should be little noise or resistance. The u-joints do not last long because there is no easy way to lube them.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
beaumecxxx

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I jacked up my Cherokee 1988 and I agree with JeepinNH. The front right AXLESHAFT U-joint (not the front driveshaft U-joint) has a lot of play, both in the axis and rotation planes. The front left AXLESHAFT has some play in the U-joint but much less than the right one.

I could not find any lubrication nipples on these axleshaft U-joints. The Jeep chassis was lubricated recently. There is so much play on the axleshaft inside the axle housing that I wondered if there was any oil left inside the differential.

I checked the differential and it has the correct oil level.

There was no play in the hub assembly and the ball joints looked ok.

Two questions:

1. Can the U-joints be replaced? I could not see a way to dismantle them (no u-bolts or snap rings, only caps on all 4 U-joint bearings).

2. I also noticed a lot of play of the axleshaft inside the axle housing. Is there a bearing that can be replaced inside the axle housing that keeps the axle shaft in place?

NOTE: I took a photo to make things clearer but I found out you cannot post any inside the messages. Bummer

Cheers to all and thanks.

Beaumecxxx
beaumecxxx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Success at last !!! Reply with quote

Well I just wanted to report success in solving the clicking sound in my Jeep (1988 Cherokee 4.0 manual 4X4). The front U-joints at the wheels were totally worn out. I replaced them myself: quite the job. First time I ever did something like this.

It was essential for me to use a heavy duty puller to get the hub assemblies out of the Knuckles: after 18 years they were rusted together. I also got my local garage to install the u-joints: you needed a special tool to replace the U-joints.

Everything works, no more weird sounds. Went up some deactivated logging roads last weekend with 5 people in the Cherokee (full GVRW) and it performed beautifully.

Special comment to all Canadian members (I live in Vancouver, BC). I was able to borrow free of charge the puller & wheel nut (36 mm or 1 1/2 inch) from Canadian Tire!!! All they required was a deposit that was fully reimbursed when I returned the tools. They have a great selection of automotive tools available.....and they do not even insist on your buying the parts from them. I think this is exceptional service. !!!

Thanks to everybody

Beaumecxxx
eggdashure

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write Up for replacing the Axle Joints

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/axle/ujoint/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: