Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

99 Cherokee - bucking and stalling !!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dowday33s

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: 99 Cherokee - bucking and stalling !!! Reply with quote

Urgently need help! We have a 99 Cherokee Sport, only had several months. Symptoms are when vehicle gets heated up will start to buck while driving and stall in traffic. Have had it to garage and computer says nothing. Have spent plenty at other garages to get nowhere. Have just changed throttle position sensor and no change. Have looked by firewall and did find some shorted wires and fixed them, no change. Not sure where to turn and about ready to scrap.... but spent too much to scrap!!
dancerman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tough one with no codes stored. Have you checked your fuel pressure? I'm assuming you've done the basic tuneup stuff (plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and air filter).

Last edited by dancerman on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same exact problems with my 97. It was the Crank Position Sensor. It lives in high heat (right by the exhaust manifold) and will cause the exact symptooms you're seeing. It will also not throw a code when it has intermittant problems.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dancerman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How were you able to determine it was the CAS? I have a non-code throwing issue with another car that shows itself as a slight miss. Don't want to test by buying new one at $400.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I determined it by process of elimination. This was not a slight miss...it would either hesitate/buck at highway speeds or a stall completley at slower speeds. Fuel pressure was normal, the cap/rotor/wires were fine and the distributor had almost no rotational play vs. the crank (which would indicate a timing chain problem) nor did it have any degree rotational problems (indicating a distrubutor gear issue). All that ruled out a mechanical problem, making it a sensor issue. Since it had nothing to do with throttle (it would happen regardless of changing or constant throttle), that ruled out a TPS or IAC problem. That made it either a crankshaft or camshaft position sensor problem. Since the problem became worse on days when it was real hot (and the crank sensor is right by the exhaust manifold) I swapped it first and that solved the problem.

Simple. Wink

Who quoted you $400 for a new CPS? I wouldn't go there again. I paid $50 for a new one...

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dowday33s

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.... you have given me hope again.
I'll give a try and let you know, stay tuned.
Thanks again
dancerman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
Who quoted you $400 for a new CPS? I wouldn't go there again. I paid $50 for a new one...

Just to be clear... this is not for my Jeep, it's another car I own. List is $580 at dealer. I was interested in your process of elimination to help me out.
redheadedstepchild

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we replaced the Crank Position Sensor, and no luck. she is still having issues. does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? like my mother said, we have had multiple mechanics looking at it, and my father has fopr the past month been searching through every wire individually looking for a short. some more info: the computer reads nothing because when it messes up the short completly wipes the computer clean. (it isnt the computer, we have replaced it) most opf the times to check if the problem is still there it has to be forced (rough roads usualy do the trick) but once its started sometimes it gets really bad to the point i cant even get the jeep to move 10 feet because it is constantly "surging" but once i let it sit for a while its sometimes fine to drive (where i need to get)

I am desperate for help....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: