Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

motor swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stumpjumperXJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: motor swap Reply with quote

Hey whats up everyone i have a xj with 6inch skyjacker with dana 44's front and rear (lockers to come soon) i was wondering if there was any chevy 350 motor swaps done in an xj and is there and motor mount kits if so i would be have to hear any thing about it.

thanks
MIKE
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done. To drop in a 350, it has to sit lower than stock in order to get the hood closed. So the existing locations of the motor mounts are in the wrong place. They need to be cut out and new ones welded it. With 6" of lift, you shouldn't have any problems with the suspension and the lowered motor though, so you should be set there. You probably will need to have a remote oil filter though. The lowered engine is most likely going to place the stock filter location right in the path of the front driveshaft.

The overall length of the block causes problems both at the radiator (which will also have to be replaced...it's inadequate to cool a SB) and the location of the distributor causes issues at the firewall. Again, neither is insurmountable, but both require some fabrication.

Also, due to the small size of the engine compartment, you're choice in exhaust manifolds/headers is fairly limited...mainly being expensive custom headers or low performance late model manifolds.

Let's not even get into tranny and t-case possibilities...although if you have an AW4 auto, it should work just fine with the treefiddy.

Check Advance Adapters. I know they have the motor mount and bellhousing kits for 350 swaps and they do make custom headers for squeezing SB's into XJ's.

Oh...you'll also need to either reprogram the ECU for the SB or integrate an ECU for a SB into the existing electronics. A challenge, but it can be done.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stumpjumperXJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been kicking around the idea of the 350 swap because i have only out of my old beater truck................i threw the 350 swap idea out on a few other forums...........everyoen is saying to stroke my 4.0 how would one go about aquiring a stroker motor and whats the average hp+torque gain from doing this and can i buy one already built?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RESET

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Carbed 350 in a 85 XJ Reply with quote

I joined this forum some time ago doing research on a SBC into my 85 XJ. I came stock wit the GM v6. I have amassed a collection of parts as well as a 4 bolt 350 for the swap. I have been told that I can use the stock radiator but will need an electric fan. I am going to try to use motor mounts designed for putting a 350 into an S10. I have found a void of information about this swap on the net. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a single writeup on the swap anywhere. Granted, most of the wrenches that have pulled this off undoubtedly do not frequent the WWW If I am wrong, can anyone point me in the right direction. I will be using the before mentioned 350 as well as a 700R4 and t-case from a S10 blazer. I plan on a 4" lift to clear everything. Can anyone spare any words of wisdom? If nothing else, I might just have to trudge thru it and create the first how to as I go. Wish me luck.
Ricko70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were younger I would have already done this swap on my 92.
I've only seen one of these swaps on the net, but it wasn't done very good in my opinion. They had the front of the motor sitting way too high and did not use most of the Jeeps wiring harness. Maybe they had a reason, but I would have done something different.
I'll try to find those pictures and send them to you---Good luck---Rick
RESET

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick.
I am buying a house with a 2 1/2 car garage, so, look for me to be starting a thread about the process. I may just have to bust out the camera and upload some pics of the pieces to get things started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: