Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: HEEEEEEELP!!!!!!! Reply with quote

So, here's the deal....

A little more than a month ago my cooling system pretty much exploded. I found I had a sligtly leaky hose (ok, no big deal), a possible leaky freeze plug (alright), and a cracked radiator (well damn). I replaced the radiator and the hose hasn't leaked since but now i'm getting an on and off leak from what I was told is the freeze plug (on the back of the block can't see where). I'm not having any problems overheating or anything like that.

My question is... is there any way for me to fix the problem myself or is that something that a garage would need to do? And, if I can do it myself, is there a write-up for it? Thanks.

Also, when I'm fixing the problem, are there any other things that I should check (in the cooling system) so I don't wind up with something else going bad when I don't want it to?
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
unforgiven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm i don't know the weather in charlotte too well, but us canadians can always use a second block heater!!! that would be a fairly easy fix if the frost plug is already goofy. once you pop out the plug in goes the block heater and tighten it up unlike the plug. for another plug, tho i haven,tr a clue as to the pressure required to install one, therefore have never tried it. hope i helped (doubt it) but good luck
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!!

Okay, long story short, my jeep crapped out on me today. I had it towed to the nearest dealer (so I didn't have to pay). The dealership is telling me that one of my freeze plugs has blown out and that my heater core is clogged up. They say to fix those (and to put in a condenser for the ac) it is going to cost $2800. Does this sound right? Can I get a second opinion from someone here? Also, should these be the problem (I'm getting a trusted mechanic to check it this weekend), is it something that I and my brother-in-law can fix? If we can fix it, is there a write-up for it?

Any help is good. Thanks guys.

John
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of that is going to be labor. If the heater core needs to be replaced, then pretty much the entire dash needs to come out to get to it. Depending on where (exactly) the freeze plug is, a lot of stuff may need to come off the engine to get access to it...again...labor. Of course the stealership is going to charge more than most....

With a manual, some patience and good set of hand tools (you might need a press to get the freeze plug in) all of it can be done yourself, but don't expect to get it done in a weekend.

Good luck.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - Part Deux

Okay... This past weekend, I fixed the problem (sort of). With the help of my brother-in-law I fixed the rusted freeze plug (in the back of the head). We also replaced the other 5 freeze plugs. We had to pull the manifolds and the head but we were able to get it done in about 2 days.

We think the problem started (the brown coolant) with a leaky head gasket (the freeze plug just happened). We saw oil on the gasket that led to parts of the cooling holes in both the block and the head. Would that explain the brown coolant or should I be starting to think about replacing the heater coil? Right now though, no leaks that we can find.

However... we have the car back together now and one of the cylindars isn't firing (I think). The car sounds like it's skipping and we're smelling un-burnt gas out of the exhaust. What could this be? I'm thinking a bad plug or wire (we replaced those as well).

Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks.
telam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definantly replace the heater core. But as to the rest... Sounds like a severe case of a blown head gasket.. However, I don't know how many miles are on your jeep or how it's been driven. It could be something else altogether, I just don't know what at the moment. Anybody else?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: