Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Key broke off in ignition. any ideas? 93 XJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LicKwiD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Key broke off in ignition. any ideas? 93 XJ Reply with quote

Hello all. I get into my jeep the other day and turn the key which falls to the floor, but the jeep is still running? Damn thing got broke off enough to turn it off or on. However my dilema is getting the key lock cylinder out of the shroud. In fact I cant find a way to get the shroud off without breaking it. Do not want to do that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. I'll take pictures later of the key and post em, but im trying to fix this thing. my trusty helms (no so trusty) tells me there are 2 screws holding the switch to the arms, cannot find them, and tamper proof torx screws holding the shroud. not seeing those either. it all looks like it slips fits, and snaps together. Thanks in advance.

Jason
LicKwiD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so from reading what I could so far, getting the tumbler out is impossible unless you remove the steering wheel. So im afraid to pull on anything for fear of breaking the interior pieces or more than that. Will the horn button just pop off? Im going to need a puller... when i get the steering wheel off, the rest shall be easy im sure, however does anyone know if the tumbler has a slot/slit or a hole in it to be able to push the key out from one side? Thanks again....

Jason
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: key Reply with quote

You cannot get the rest of the key out? I have in the past with a slight dab of superglue to the finger side of the key then pushing against the piece stuck inside. As for the shroud, mine has 2 torx screws underneath and then it splits in two. You end up with an upper and lower piece. The screws are really recessed, maybe 2 inches deep. The hole is not large enough for a socket set type torx, you need a screwdriver type. This is on a 99.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
LicKwiD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I cannot get it out of the tumbler. When I look at my shroud surrounding the column there are no signs of recessed fasteners. I didnt try the superglue for fear of getting it in the tumbler itself. I just have to be careful I guess. Ima try the superglue, but i hope it doesnt get stuck in there. Wish me luck.
Ricko70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes---------you can use a broken coping saw blade. They are very thin. Insert with the teeth pointing outward along side the broken key and give it a twist (easy) at the same time pull out hopefully far enough to get hold of the key stub with needle-nose pliers..

Good luck-Rick
LicKwiD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the superglue, and does not stick to the other end. Tried a hacksaw blade trimmed to size, ended up breaking a piece off in the lock. when the key enters the lock there are what seem to be clamps from the top and bottom that grasp the key as its entered into the cylinder. the clamps are easily moveable when im poking around in there. Now with the broken end of the hacksaw blade in there its wedged the clamps around the key open, I can pretty much see the key all the way down the cylinder, only when i try to pull with the hacksaw blade it wont come out. Im going to order a broken key extractor kit..... maybe that'll help me out. this is driving me nuts, now i cant drive the truck till i get it out...
JtotheEEPxj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pull the steering wheel off, and do it the right way. After all this trouble, you could've already had it out and been done with it all. A new lock cylinder/tumbler assembly is only about 30 bucks at the dealer, and once the steering wheel and turn signal assembly is out of the way there's a small button you push and it comes straight out. IF it's a non-tilt column, that's the only way, and it only takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get done and back on the road.
-1993 XJ, 4.0, 5 spd, 4.5" lift, 32's, Warn bumper, JKS link kit, skid plates, D30 & 8.25 w/ 4:56's & Detroit locker
-1965 Ranchero, new paint & interior, 302, C4, torque thrust II whls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LicKwiD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its a tilt column, but I just pryed the horn button off, and exposed the steering wheel nut, and screws. Im going to tackle this tom morning. Going to get a steering wheel puller as well.. Should be a fun day. I agree i could have had it done by getting the steering wheel off, however i was unsure of how to do that till recently. im hoping i dont have to replace the whole lock tumbler. Im hoping it allows more room for me to slide the broken key out, and i'll be abe to continue using the current lock. But if it comes down to it i'll get a new tumbler. Thanks for the reply's so far.

Jason
LicKwiD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today i go to autozone and rent a steering wheel puller, and lockplate compressor. I have the steering wheel off, and my only issue now is the tumbler. Anyone that can help here will be greatly appreciated. I have pulled the 2 prong switch out and from what i read im supposed to turn the ignition to on and push up on the little lever in there and pull the tumbler out? Seems easy breezy but i have a piece of saw blade in with the key now and restricts me from turning the tumbler at all. Am i SOL? I cant get the turn signal switch and arm out of the shroud. and as a refresher to anyone reading, this is a one piece shroud , not a top and bottom half. its a tilt steering wheel. Im not having a good time with this, and this is my beater vehicle. I can drive the other one but im having A/F issues with the SC.
LicKwiD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured this may be of some help to let others know what type of column im dealing with here.

This is not my column, this is one i found off e bay im borrowing the picture.

soon i will have my locksmith key extractor tools delivered and i'll try that, but im hoping they come in soon....
LicKwiD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: just an update Reply with quote

It's been a few months and i figured i would give an update.. Well after all that BS of taking the steering wheel off the column to try and access the tumbler itself, I received my broken key extractor kit in the mail, and took me all of 5 mins to pull out both the key and a piece of hacksaw blade....what a mess to deal with... here are some pictures of the aftermath..

Thanks to all that replied and tried to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: