Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions, tons of em!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PETERLEE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Questions, tons of em! Reply with quote

Hi
Had My 96XJ 2.5 Turbo diesel since last October, but just got around to doing more with it.
Something has been draining the battery, more noticeable since it was stood 6 weeks!! Over this last weeks holiday, I have been disconnecting the battery, if stood for any length of time just in case, after I had to put it on overnight charge, not on the motor.
If I disconnect the battery, after locking the doors, sometimes on reconnecting, I can hear a solenoid energise & other times not. Is this the immobiliser?
Sometimes when I disconnect I can hear a solenoid, not necessarilly the same one it seems, operate.
Secondly. on start up I get a little blue smoke, but after 4/5 miles its fine, after a run it will occur again on startup but clear more or less straight away.
P.S. When I tried to charge the battery while connected, I put in the ignition key after resetting the immobliser, but DID NOT turnit & it blew the 32 amp fuse in the charger, is this a clue?

Sorry for seeming a bit dim, but I`m out of touch with car fixing, I`ve driven the works motors for 20 Years, I report it & it gets fixed LOL

T.I.A.

Peter
beaumecxxx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter, I have an older Cherokee (1988, 4.0 petrol engine, 5 speed manual, no A/C) and I live in Canada (maybe different electrical systems?) so maybe my comments do not apply to you.

But I have noticed one thing:

Even when you switch off the engine and remove the key, the fan for the ventilation inside the Jeep can still operate! If the speed control wheel is not at zero (no fan speed), even when the key is removed, the fan can still run. This is specially worrying when you have the speed control wheel set at low speed, because then you cannot hear the fan working.

But in my Cherokee the fan can still be running !!! Needless to say if you leave the vehicle parked for a length of time this will drain the battery.

Hope this helps

Beaumecxxx
gynnett

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,

I have a 96 XJ 2.5 turbo diesel - have the same problem with the fan,lights and radio working without the keys in the ignition. I thought it was wired back up wrong after some work on the dashboard.

It's cost me a new battery already!

gynnett
PETERLEE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I apparently cured My problem by disconnecting the underbonnet light, tho I have had the jeep up on stands doing the rear brakes for a while so not started it yet, for a proper check

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: