Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

real main seal leakage...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
umpout

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: real main seal leakage... Reply with quote

i took my 2005 jeep wrangler rocky mountain edition to the jeep 5 star service center. the service manager told me it was normal for the rear main seal to leak...are u kidding me.....my jeep has 4500 miles on it and this is the second time i took it in.......they ended up tightening the bolts...said this was the problem...lets hope so.......later
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear main seals are known to leak with age. Not two within 4500 miles.
JCA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sound like I'm accusing, but was it the same mechanic who fixed it the first time? Makes you wonder if whoever fixed it the first time tightened it enough then... I'm not the world's greatest mechanic but when I had to get the tie rods fixed on my 92 Dogde colt a few years back and the mechanic told me the boot got wrecked cus it had fishing line wrapped around it, I said ok, it's under warranty anyway, fix it. 6 months later I brought it back to him for similar noises, he told me the OTHER side had a tie rod problem cus the boot got wrecked when fishing line got wrapped around it. Apparently he didn't remember telling me that the first time... I told him that since he didn't notice it when he examined it 6 months before trying to find the same noise problem I was taking it elsewhere... long story short it was a lube problem that was causing wear and cost little to fix when someone else examined it... never went to that guy again and it's a shame, before that he had always treated me right, still not sure what changed...
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 02 X and 03 Rube both were leaking before 5k miles. Rolling Eyes

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
umpout

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello again, well it is still leaking so i guess tightening of the bolts was not it..... will have to take to another dealer....
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always been my understanding that the I6 rear main seals have been an ongoing instalation issue for years. Dealers even screw them up when fixing under warentee, so Im guessing some sort of design flaw between the block, pan and the seal inself.

These engines are produced by the tens of thousands years before they get installed by DC at the factory. So the problem excists way in advance of production and even when DC knows about the issue prior to the build date, they leave it for the end user to find and thier dealer to repair. Rather than fix before build. Its cheaper for them due to the large amount of owners that either ignore the problem or never look under and see whats going on.

My 99 Ram w/5.9lt V8 had a blown intake seal right off the lot. This was a common problem.....another that DC wouldnt admit was a problem btw Rolling Eyes sort of like the auto tranny problems that they wouldnt admit were a problem.......But the symptom was extremly poor fuel mileage. As the engine sucked air past the seal they EPU would see a lean condition and pump more fuel to the engine, hence the excess fuel use. I got 5 more MPG after the repair was made under warrentee.....again many owners just ignored the problem and it didnt cost DC any money to fix.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to own a 90' Cherokee with a I6 and had rearmain seal problems. I did the dealer thing twice, but it still leaked. I wound up doing it myself and had no leaks afterwards. I checked for nicks, gouges and other flaws that might cause the leak, but found nothing.
But let me tell you, it was a BIG pain in the ass to do.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
umpout

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: 3rd chance Reply with quote

update.....well she is still leaking from the rear main seal....will take back in........gonna lemon law it if they dont fix it this time.....
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok several things.

when they said they were going to "tighten the bolts", how long did that take them. to get to those bolts you have to drop the oil pan, and just re-tightening won't fix it anyways.

secondly there is a bulletin about the rear main on the TJ's leaking. there is a hole right at the very top of the tranny to engine. dirt gets in there and ends up clocking/grinding at the seal causing it to leak sooner. the vehicle is to be inspected and the rear main replaced if required. after that the hole is to be sealed with RTV to prevent future contamination.

but other than that rear main seals are relatively common. all 3 of my jeeps were leaking from the rear main but they all had between 80,000 and 176,000 miles on them.
________
Lincoln Aviator history

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
umpout

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they had the car for about 6 hours, they said they tightened the bolts and ran the jeep for an hour and did not notice any more leaking.....went on a 4 hour ride and it is leaking.... the service manager said that this is suppose to happen to keep the bottom of the seal lubricated....he wanted to show me a 2006 tj doing the same thing . so i would drop it... i paid 24000 for this 7 months ago. i will be more than happy to get my money back if jeep is that incompetent....will keep ya informed....gonna take back to dealer in 2 weeks.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's supposed to leak to keep the bottom of the seal lubricated??? boy then i must be in alot of trouble. because i just resealed my entire engine, and i don't have ANY oil leaking anywhere at all. i guess my seal must not be getting lubricated now???????????

i really hope you told him he needs to quit eating so much shit for lunch cuz he's already full of it.

a brand new engine should not leak.

a properly placed seal in good condition should not leak.

the rear main is meant to keep fluid in. not let it leak. it should be bone dry.

and why are you waiting 2 weeks??? if you had a problem taken care off, and it's not fixed then TAKE IT BACK RIGHT AWAY....no offense, but the dumbest thing you can do is to keep driving it before you go back with a complaint. i know...i used to work at dealerships.

take it back. tell them you want the rear main seal replaced. that requires droping the oil pan, which will require replacing the oil pan gasket. tell them that when you come to pick the jeep up you want to see the old rear main seal (which is a 2 piece seal) and the old oil pan gasket, and that it better be as dry as the desert.
________
weed news

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umpout wrote:
the service manager said that this is suppose to happen to keep the bottom of the seal lubricated....

You have far more patience than I do. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: