Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TJ Engine Lean and Rich?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTaylor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: TJ Engine Lean and Rich? Reply with quote

I am receiving both error codes for engine too lean and engine too rich (51 and 52) I am also getting the code 12 for PCM power disconnected within last 50 cycles. I have replaced the O2 sensor and the lean and rich codes went away for about 3 weeks but now they are back. I have also replaced the plugs and wires. The jeep has 88K miles on it. Does anyone have a clue as to what I should do next? With both error codes, is it computer related?
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that could be a very difficult one to diagnose without seeing it, but first we need more info from you.

Year,Make,Model,Engine,Modifications,what where you doing when the light came on, what were you doing shortly before the light came on, how is it behaving now (runs rough or anything else).

try to give us as much info as you can.
________
how to roll a blunt

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KTaylor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: TJ Engine Lean and Rich? Reply with quote

I have a 97 Wrangler with the 2.5L engine. The engine was running rough and would take a few minutes to warm up initially when I received the error codes the first time. SInce then I replaced the O2 sensor and that cleared it for about 3 weeks. I received the light and error codes (both) again and replaced the plugs and wires with Bosch platinum-2 plugs and Bosch wires. The light came back on with both error codes and code 12 for the PCM power disconnected (again) I cleaned the battery terminals and reconnected them hoping that would help the code 12. I ordered an Jet powertech Stage 1 engine performance chip with the hopes that it would possibly fix the problem but the codes returned (both the too rich and too lean) I have received the codes when decellerating to a stop (clutch in) on acceleration (normally around 30-40MPH) The vehicle seems to be a little rough when in 3rd at about 30-35 MPH. I have an OBD-II that I have used to check and compare the codes with the ones the Jeep gives me and they both come to the same too rich/too lean conclusion. I have been able to reset the Check engine light with it and before when it was the O2 sensor, I had to replace the sensor before it would reset. The past time I took the vehicle to Autozone and used their OBD because I could not reset it but they were able to. I was thinking that perhaps the O2 sensor I bought may have gone bad quickly. The engine has 88K miles on it and I normally run 87 Octane and I recently put in some fuel injector cleaner to see if that would help the rough running part. Any ideas?
brokenyoujoint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get an adj map sensor then http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/MAP_adjuster.html
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first i would recommend you remove the jet chip. you don't ever want to diagnose-repair something by adding aftermarket stuff unless you know for sure what the problem is. by adding that chip now while you're having this problem, you could make it even more difficult to properly diagnose it.

i don't see how a adj. map sensor would fix anything here since it's not even sure what is causing it.

just curious??? why didn't you replace the cap and rotor if you already did the plugs and wires???

what i would do is try to find somebody that has a tech tool that allows you to monitor the output off all the sensors. that way you can see if/when your fuel curves are out of whack, what O2 readings you are getting and so on and so forth. basically you need to be able to see what the sensors are receiving/sending out, so you can tell where you are getting a wacky reading. then you can go from there.

the hard part is going to be finding somebody that has a tech tool that will do that, otherwise you might have to go to the dealer. where are you located???
________
Plymouth Backpack history

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KTaylor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: TJ Engine Lean and Rich? Reply with quote

I wish I had replaced the rotor and cap when I was under the hood. I will probably be doing that soon. I will look around for someone with a tech tool to evaluate the problem better. I am in Southern Alabama so someone around here should have one. Thanks
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to far for me to help you. sorry. let me know when you get more updates.
________
juggalo
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: