Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nothing but Hot Air

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob709

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Nothing but Hot Air Reply with quote

I've got a 96 GC (5.2L, 4x4) which is blowing nothing but really hot air through the vents (turning the temp control doesn't effect it much).

There are some A/C issues which I'm working through, but what I don't understand is why when the A/C compressor is turned off do I get much hotter than outside air blowing into the car.

Does the air intake sit so close to the engine that it picks up the engine heat or do I have a hot air mixer that is stuck in the hot position?

Before I spend a lot of money/time on the A/C I'd like to first check for the correct operation of the mixer. Anyone have any ideas on how I could do that?

Thanks
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC condensors are known to leak in Grands.. Thats probobly why your AC isnt working.

As for the hot air coming thru the vent.. Its most likely picking it up from the engine..

The evaorator is very near the heater core in the engine bay..

You can change the evaporator yourself but its a big pain in the butt and then you have to vacuum it out and recharge it..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bob709

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I decided that the hot/cold mixer is working correctly. Putting a set of gages on the A/C showed that there's an obstruction somewhere. Pressure on the high side was heading above 350 psi when I shut it down. My plan is to have the system evacuated, then replace the orifice line, drier, and all the O rings. Hopefully the orifice will be the problem.

While the system is apart, is there a good way to check the evaporator and condenser to see if they're obstructed? I'm thinking about blowing compressed air through them to check for flow, but afraid of doing more harm than good.

Thanks for the Help and advice.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a vacuum pump on it vac it out and leave the gauges on.. If it holds a vacuum then its not leaking..

If it doesnt hold a vacuum you need to find the leak..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: