Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LIFTS!!!?? Novice needs help......

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomynoks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: LIFTS!!!?? Novice needs help...... Reply with quote

Man! There are too many companies making lift kits! I like the price of Rough Country's 4.5" lift w/ rear springs at $645.00. the Rubicon 4.5" is at best $1006.00

I'd like to know opions and differences in the two or any other brands you guys would recommend. i see the Phantom is lifting his XJ.... I read your write up yesterday, but can't find it now. What brand are you using?
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
RockOn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get an RE 4.5 for less than that!
RE6111 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit - The 6111 kit is an affordable alternative to our RE 6130 4.5" kit. This kit provides the same clearances, but uses an add-a-leaf and lift block for the rear suspension lift.
$773.95 + S&H

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=185

I can get that lift from a local shop with no S&H charges at the same price.

I have had that lift kit now for about 5 years(not to mention I have beat the hell out of my XJ). Have had no problems or complaints. After a brief look at rough country's kit, you get alot more with the RE kit. You only spend $150 more....it would be better spent!
tomynoks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks Rockon....but my stock leafs are shot.sag real bad.....AAL's and blocks won't do.

$645.00 Rough Country
$1006.95 Rubicon Express

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=185

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4.html

I don't know shit, but it does look like Rubicon comes with more "stuff", more arms...brake line.... but doesn't include shocks.

Rough Country includes shocks....

I guess the big questions are... how much better is the Rubicon pkg? I'm trying to justify spending another $400.

I've got one vote for Rubicon.....
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
RockOn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well first off my leafs were sagging real bad! I had a real nice gasta lean going! LOL
The add a leaf is full length and surprisingly thick. Almost twice the thickness of fractory leafs! Also the blocks are only one inch blocks, so not a big difference there.

So when I installed my lift in the rear I got more like 7" of lift because of the sagging (gansta lean). NOW my rear sits 1.5 inches higher than the front and I have had this lift for 5 years!!! NO SETTLING back down either! My XJ has a nice pro street lean to it, still to this day.

Keep in mind RE gives you the one inch block for adjustment. You don't have to use it. You can add some nice shackles at the same time or later. You may not need either, but I wouldn't count on that.

(by the way your rough country kit has add a leaf)

OK with that being said....

The brake lines are a must! (think about it, you lift it, you need longer lines) If you buy them seperately, you will be looking at approx $120+

Those control arms for the front are beefy & flexible (greasable). If you are going to go this high, it is advisable to get strong, longer arms.

RE also comes with quick disconnects (allows you ro disconnect you front sway bar). You will use this offroad, and yes it makes one hell of a difference! Or you can buy seperately for a arm & leg.

Anyways, I'm just giving you my two cents... you will be much better off with the RE6111 kit. You don't need the RE6130, it is a waste of money. Spend that money on shocks.

KEEP IN MIND! if you use either lift kit.... alot of peeps have to get a SYE (slip yoke eliminator). I personally have not...yet. I plan to sometime, but it has not been a must for me.

Also you sound like this lift is going to break you. It is not a good idea because either way you go....this is only the beginning! LOL

I speak from 5 years of owning this money pit!

I bought the damn thing for $5000 & I have more than that in it!

Anyways maybe this helps you some. Feel free to ask me anything or maybe I can give more detail later about the side by side comparison of these kits (compare apples & oranges...LOL).
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was initially looking at a Rusty's lift as it was less expensive and luckily I was steered towards RE (thanks Phantum!)

By the way here is his latest lift thread http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7730&highlight=

I totally agree with previous statement, the lift just STARTS the expenditures! I found out the hard way, I needed an SYE and I had a heck of a time with that part! Of course then the lockers and Step Rails, now I need a roof rack and . . . . ..

I too had SEVERLY sagging rear leafs and disagree with the assertion about the AAL kit being better move economic wise. Go with (RE6130) with the complete replacement springs the first time NOT after you discover your new lift is sagging. It is not less expensive if you have to do it more than once! (Just my opinion! Everyone is entitled to their own!)

I have heard many people that have been successful with the Hack & Tap SYE but if I had it to do over, I would probably NOT go that route again. I have had problems with the Oil Seal leaking repetitively (but I am getting much quicker at replacing it!!!)

All in all I am VERY Pleased with my Lift and Quality of RE parts! I am glad I did go RE, and would go RE again.

I am not now second guessing my decision which I might be doing if I had gone the Rusty's route or any other less expensive route?

It is not less expensive if you have to do it more than once!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
tomynoks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are awesome. My leafs sag past being horizontal, so I think I better get the full leaf packs. I've been working side jobs on the weekends to do this lift and new headers/exhaust, so I can afford the RE6130. Is there any way to know if I'll need the slip yoke eliminator? I have a '99. If I'll need one and a CV drive shaft, i might just get the 3.5" super-flex. It looks like anything over 3.5" and you have to get alot more to correct driveline angles. I just want something off-road capable for now... yeah yeah... that's what they all said, right?!!

Also, does anyone carry RE or can you only buy direct?

Thanks for all the advice, please keep it coming!
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
tomynoks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and what do you guys recommend for shocks???
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
RockOn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as where to buy I would look at some local shops you have in your area & compare prices to ordering online. You may be able to get out of the shipping cost buying locally.

as far a shocks.....that is like asking what color do you like. LOL ....everybody has there opinion. I'm still using the shocks that came with my lift kit. Apparently they no longer offer shocks with the RE 4.5" lift.

I plan to beaf my shocks up before to long. I will be looking at Bilstein, Rancho, and some others. I will be going for a stiffer shock, less comfy ride.

This is a local shop from my area
http://www.eoronline.com/index.html
Apparently they are not website builders....LOL
They have been good to my friends & I.

Also, I forgot to mention I do have the towing package on my XJ. That may effect the heigth and the reason for not having a SYE yet??? I don't know.

You will be better off getting a 3.5" RE kit than a 4.5" RC kit that only comes with half of what you need.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, if the lift is stretching your budget go with 3.5" and don't cut corners. I thought that pre-96 XJ's were less suseptible to requiring the SYE than the post 96 but mine needed it!

We were able to (EASILY) determine it was necessary as we lowered it off the jack stands and backed it out of the garage at 8pm on Sunday night after a two full day lift install (many broken bolts and difficult extraction/work arounds). As I was idling down the driveway, CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK felt like Fred Flintstone Mobile!!! Drive shaft bound on every revolution and then finally would complete revolution with a THUNK!

This turned into about another $500 (Cheap SYE and a Drive Shaft) that I was not expecting. I also missed taking my vehicle on a trip to Uwharrie NC on the trip I was originally installing this for! I still went as a passenger but wasn't what I had planned (as I had not planned well!)

I have Old MAN EMU Shocks for what that's worth?

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
tomynoks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the SYE and CV drive line are about $300.00 ea from RE. I think I will go with the 3.5" RE lift for now... I can always upgrade later if I get the bug that you guys got!

What do you think about Pro Comp ES3000 shocks? Are they adequate?

I can get 4 shocks, boots and steering stabilizer for $122.00 from 4Wheel Parts. I think they carry Rubicon Express too.
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
XJ915speedJohn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive recently placed the RE 3.5 super ride and i do not regret the deciesion.
runs well and is stable.The Boys at National4wd didnt steer me wrong. My original spring too were shot. and i picked up a set of used springs from a scap yard that had low milage added the add aleaf to it and ive gained 4 to 4.5 on a 3.5 lift...i figure ive saved a few dollars with the use spring packs.

well its time to get muddy

see you on the trails
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE THE NP242 TRANSFER CASE, AND I HEAR THE ONLY SYE AVAILABLE IS THE ONE WHERE YOU HAVE TO TAP AND DRILL. IS THIS CORRECT? i WANNA GO EITHER 3.5 OR 4.5 BUT I DONT WANNA HAVE TO CHANGE TCASES TOO. I LIKE THE 242 ITS A STOUT T-CASE, BUT IS THE TAP AND DRILL SYE GONNA HOLD?
RockOn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ptown_bogger wrote:
I HAVE THE NP242 TRANSFER CASE, AND I HEAR THE ONLY SYE AVAILABLE IS THE ONE WHERE YOU HAVE TO TAP AND DRILL. IS THIS CORRECT? i WANNA GO EITHER 3.5 OR 4.5 BUT I DONT WANNA HAVE TO CHANGE TCASES TOO. I LIKE THE 242 ITS A STOUT T-CASE, BUT IS THE TAP AND DRILL SYE GONNA HOLD?

I find that hard to believe. Personally I do not like the sound of a hack & tap anything. Sounds half ass.

I would do a google search....here is what I came up with real quickly....I'm not making any suggestions about brand or anything though!
http://www.offroadtoystore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TW-242SYEandShaft&Category_Code=TomWood

So to answer your question.....YES you can find a SYE for the 242

Happy hunting!
SanDiegoXJ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in RE lifts, you might seriously consider contacting Alex at Performance Off-Road Center....He has some FANTASTIC pricing on RE stuff. Everything on his site is listed as $0.00 since he can't advertise the deals, but give him a call and you won't be upset....or at least I wasn't.
tomynoks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your post immediately after placing the order w/ JeepinJoe's. I got the RE6030 for $721.00 (retail) w/ no shipping or tax. What did you get from performance offroad center and at what price??

Thanks
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: