Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 Inch lift and a nasty vibration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: 3 Inch lift and a nasty vibration Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Long time reader...fist time poster.
I just put a 3 inch lift kit on my 97 wrangler SE (turned out to be a little more). Now whenever im out driving there is a nasty vibration that feels like its comming from the transmission/transfer case are. The vibration only occurs when im going out of a stand still in first gear, after the car gets goin everything is fine. The lift came with a T- case lowering kit which only lowered the T- case skid plate ( another thing im kinda confused about). I checked the front drive shaft and it turns out that theres about an inch of play when turned by hand, im wondering if that might have something to do with it? If thats the problem, how does one adjust that?
Thanks for any opinions or suggestions and i look forward to hearing some responses.

Sebass
JLS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what size tires?
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 3 Inch lift and a nasty vibration Reply with quote

Sebass wrote:
The lift came with a T- case lowering kit which only lowered the T- case skid plate ( another thing im kinda confused about). I checked the front drive shaft and it turns out that theres about an inch of play when turned by hand, im wondering if that might have something to do with it? If thats the problem, how does one adjust that?

Sebass

the skidplate on a wrangler is also the crossmember. so when you lower the skidplate, the transmission and t-case go down with the skidplate.

if you ever need to remove the skidplate to do some work on the tranny/t-case, you need to support the tranny/t-case and remove 4 bolts that go up through the center of the skidplate. once you have those 4 removed, then you can take of the 6 big bolts that hold the skid plate up.

where/how did you measure this 1" of play??? if you are looking/feeling your wrist movement, then it will look like alot. look at one of the bolts that hold the driveshaft front u-joint to the front axle/differential. most likely there will only be about 1/4+/- inch of play. if you really do have 1" of play, then there is probably something wrong.
________
Ferrari 312 specifications

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sebass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 32" tires on it.

When i put the T- case drope on, i put a jack on one side, unscrewed the bolts and just slid the spacers in. Same with the other side. Also about the 1 inch paly in the shaft, i just grabbed it with my hand and turned it about an inch in referance to something stationary. Could this be causing my problem?
JLS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think the play in the shaft is causing the problem, I will check mine when I get home but I think that is normal, but I am not positive.

The vibe is only when starting from a stand still in first? If this is correct, I have experienced this also.

But my problem was due to improper shifting into first... not the driveline vibes. The 01TJ was/is my first vehicle with a manual tranny. So it took me a bit of time to learn what I should be doing.

I think the solution is that you should apply more throttle when the clutch is depressed. Do not get me wrong I am still fairly new to understanding my Jeep holistically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: