Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1999 Cherokee Sport, Cranks but no start and front end noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cadillackerman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: 1999 Cherokee Sport, Cranks but no start and front end noise Reply with quote

hey all, my girlfriends jeep has had a front end metallic noise since she got it. (90K on it). Has new brakes and both outer bearings, noise is almost unbearable-has to be internal. Anyone had to rebuild their axel yet? Local rebuilder says these are common for bad bearings. Also last night she says her jeep stalled. Cranks fine but won't start. She likes to run on fumes a lot so we put in gas but no go. I heard these have control modules that die with no warning, but is there any simple test I can do to figure if its the module or maybe the fuel pump? Has 4.0 '99 Sport. Also as I have to work on it in a parking lot 20 miles from home, anyone can tell me where the module is? Any help appreciated, Thanks!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1999 Cherokee Sport, Cranks but no start and front end n Reply with quote

Is the noise under braking, acceleration, coasting or all of the above? Does the pitch change with speed or is it constant?

As for the no start, first see if you can pull the codes. That might point you in the right direction. If not, when you turn the ignition on, you should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds and then stop. That will tell you if the fuel pump is working or not. If it is, pull a plug and make sure it's got spark. No spark would be either a bad coil or a bad sensor (Cam or Crank position or possibly ASD relay).

If the pump runs and it has spark, check fuel pressure at the rail. It should be right around 49psi. If that checks out, pull off the distributor cap and turn the crankshaft pulley. The rotor should turn immediatley. If there is any play it's a timing chain problem. Also check/rotate the distributor to check for any slop, which would indicate a distrubutor gear issue. If all that checks out, it's not a mechanical issue and it's back to a sensor issue.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cadillackerman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: 99 Cherokee Sport Reply with quote

The noise is constant, sounds like gravel in the differential. Louder at higher speeds. I will do some preliminary fuel tests on it tonight, but it sounds like it could get complicated fast. If I have fuel, but no spark I'm thinking I may just take her to the dealer. I have no way to get any codes. I'm used to working on old cars.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the link http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2719

It will tell you exactly how to pull the codes and what they mean.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cadillackerman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: 99 Jeep no start Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the info. I tried both methods. Neither worked. The car has a digital odometer. I did what you said, it went through 111111-99999. All the while doing some tests because the gauges were all moving. Then it just told me the mileage and it was done. Never told me any codes. So I tried the old method, several times. Check engine light never came on, not once. So, does this mean that there is nothing wrong with it? I pulled the air hose off the intake and injected some fuel into it, and again nothing happened. Not a back-fire, nothing. I know as much tonight as I did last night. I bought a manual, but its looking like it has to go to a shop. I figured it'd start when I put fuel down the intake. The car was running fine yesterday. All it does is crank. Wasn't able to check spark. Getting dark with a storm coming. Have to wait till Weds.
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my g/f's jeep had the same problem. She took it to a shop and they couldnt find anyything wrong at first. They finaly fixed it, but when i asked my g/f what they said was wrong with it, she didnt remember the actual part that was broken, but i do believe it was some sort of bad relay or something near the nuetral safety switch. they replaced the part and it runs fine, if you cant pull the codes, take it to a shop......dont waste money at the dealership, unless you have enough to spend, find a good reputable auto mechanic if you can
cadillackerman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: 1999 Jeep no start Reply with quote

OK, I decided to bring it to the dealer as I suspected there was no spark and no fuel. Wound up being a PCM, only a $950.00 part. Funny thing is they put 3 Control Modules in this thing, this is just the most expensive of them. We still could wind up being stranded when the rest of them fail. No-one but Chrysler sells these modules, and they won't warranty them if they don't install them. I would have messed with it (normally) for the weekend probably spending 2-3 hundred before I gave up. I tried a local garage too, but they couldn't take it till next Tuesday. Can't be a backyard mechanic with these.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: