Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clicking sound when turn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EEP Grl
Hot Momma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Clicking sound when turn Reply with quote

2000 2wd Cherokee Sport.

When i turn, in and out of parking spots mostly, i hear this clicking grinding noise. Not really sure whats up, everything looks fine and i just greased everything a few months back. no change from what i normally do. I havnt even driven through any high water lately. Any ideas?
Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axle u-joints
________
marijuana trichomes

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joh's jeep

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you got a 2 wheel drive (right?), it's not a worn U joint. I think it'll be a brake caliper. Does it disappear when you touch the brake pedal ?

Johannes
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops....sorry didn't see the 2WD part.....
________
Daimler Conquest

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EEP Grl
Hot Momma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its usually when i am parking, so i am pretty sure. i will make a note next time i drive it and it hapends. unfortunatly i am in a training school right now and cant leave base for this week. So next week i can def let you know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
EEP Grl
Hot Momma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...well i got to go off base and what a day - about 8 different things just broke at once, not to mention the celing liner droping down too. Seriously - anyone want a 2wd XJ to drive around? i am in VA right now, probabaly just going to sell it and get a new truck after i fix it.
then get a 4wd older jeep for off road once i get to seattle.

so since i still have to fix this... it clicks when i am breaking - like slowing and turning into a parking space. its not the breaks. Neutral Shocked Crying or Very sad
no idea.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first guess would be ujoints as well, but since it's 2WD it ain't that.

It could be a brake caliper, but it really sounds like a hub bearing starting to give up the ghost. Does it seem to be coming from one side or the other?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EEP Grl
Hot Momma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh from the driver front tire section...
they have a hoby shop here if its not too involved like something i can do on the weekend. well once i figure out what it is
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wanna make sure it's a unit bearing...they ain't cheap. Jack up the front end, grab the tire and try to wiggle it, there should be very little to no play whatsoever. Also, pull the tire and look around the steering knuckle carefully. If you see any metal filings, it's a sign that the bearing is disintegrating.

I'd say bring it up here this weekend and we can try to diagnose it...but the TJ is laid up on one side (which I'll be working on) and the other side it just a pile of rims, tires and misc. parts. Rolling Eyes

If it is a wheel bearing, you'll need either air tools or a BIG ass breaker bar to loosen the nut that holds it to the axle shaft.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
quadna71

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:

If it is a wheel bearing, you'll need either air tools or a BIG ass breaker bar to loosen the nut that holds it to the axle shaft.

again, 2WD Smile it could be as simple as the trackbar going T.U.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit...I keep forgetting that. Mr. Green

For 2WD, you would only have to remove the brake caliper and take out the three bolts that hold the bearing to the steering knuckle. Getting the bearing to come out of the knuckle can take a little persuasion.

Quote:
chaseatkinson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it not be the CV joint?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: