Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Mutt's Recovery Progress...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: A Mutt's Recovery Progress... Reply with quote

Where to begin... Ah yes, why not start with why.

The reason for "A Mutt" to be in ICU were due to a few (or is that many) incidents over a recent timeframe. First, I had been running 33's for nearly six years, even before the RE 3.5" lift was installed just a year ago. I wanted to go to 35's but with a measely undergrown d35c, "A Mutt" had little chance of avoiding crippling injuries. The d35c finally gave in with ominous clunking sounds when the vehicle went into gear.

Second, this occurred to the belly skid at this past Paragon event with FM2CD. You can see the grimace in the face of the person circled.

Third, I think I smacked the rear DS on a rock at Paragon prior to the incident above while taking a different path than everyone else. Probably because of something like "I think I can do that."

Both the second and third probably added to the increase in vibrations. Very Happy

Forth, I drowned my poor jeep at Rausch Creek.

Fifth, because everyone else was doing it. Besides, how can anyone say no to a face like this. Mr. Green

Okay, before we begin, here are some before shots.
At GWNF
In the Basement

-Trevor
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pic of Steve's grimace would be better if you put a second one up of a close up of the look. rofl

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Stage 1 Reply with quote

Yes, Jen. I'll have a bigger pic of your hubby grimacing posted tonight.

Stage 1: Installing SYE and New Belly Skid

To address the vibration from the Drive Shaft, I will be adding an SYE and a new belly skid.

In addition, I decided that I should just replace the less than straight belly skid that a rock had issues with (and the fact that I got tired of hanging on it). Mind you, it's not mangled. It just adds a slight twist to the driveline.

I started the removal of the T-Case. Here are some shots.

The belly skid with a creek bed finish (if you look closely, you'll see a nail in there)

Here's a closer picture of the nail (I'm not certain where that come from, I'm just glad it didn't find its way into one of my tires.

Where the rock bit.

The new belly skid unfortunately has not come in. I'll post pics of it when it's in. I won't be needing it until I finish the SYE installation.

Here's a pic of the SYE I'll be installing (JB Conversions Super Short SYE)

I got excited about it coming in on Thursday 20th, that I took it downstairs (after I dealt with the dogs) and began tearing everything off that I needed to remove.

I was ready to drain the T-Case. (here it is supported)

When I realized that the darn drain plugs didn't use square but hex. It stopped me short.

That teaches me for not looking in the first place. But now, I have most of the necessary tools including a torq wrench upto 250 ft/lbs and that darn hex bit. Tonight, I'll drain it, pop it off and clean it. Then I will install the new SYE. Most likely, I'll be stopped by some other random odds and ends. Until later.

-Trevor.
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joys and fun of a SYE Shocked Just think I have to do mine soon too. rofl rofl Looking good man. Love the pic of the Jeep threw the garage door windows, very cool Wink
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: More of Stage 1: SYE Reply with quote

Okay. Lack of tools and a slightly less than informative instructions slowed me down a bit. Like the oil seal and plate before the seal. I didn't know how to take them off. The instructions said, take them off to expose the bearing. Uh, how? In the end (after I found from some replies that I didn't need either of them anyway), I just took a screw driver and a rubber mallet and pounded them off. Took less than 5 minutes to do.

Here's what it looked like before SYE:

At about 18.5 inches minus the yoke. What you see in the pic is what I measured. I didn't feel like putting the yoke back on for the picture.

Here it is with the JB Conversions Super Short SYE:

At about 13.5 inches with the yoke on. I got at least 5 inches more.

Now, I'm going to have to get a new driveshaft. That will be near the end of the upgrades. This has so far been an interesting adventure. First off, disassembling and reassembling this T-Case was interesting in itself. It took me some surfing to find the right torque settings for all the bolts on there. Course, my torque wrench only went down to 25 ft/lbs.

The next thing was having to torque the yokes on. The front had to be tightened to 130 ft/lbs, not that bad but still tough. But the rear yoke had to be tighted to 200 ft/lbs. Now that was a challenge. I didn't know if I had enough body weight in order to acheive that. I practically laid on my hand holding the torque wrench handle. Lastly, it still needs to make it into the jeep. I just got lazy after finishing that.

-Trevor.

Last edited by rovertmutt on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good man!! thumbs
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Erk! Reply with quote

Well, since it was so much fun dismantling my t-case, I had to do it again. Whoopie. Rolling Eyes

Really, I couldn't figure out why the t-case was 4hi for 2hi, 4hi, and neutral settings. I figured it must be lack of ATF. Then my belly skid arrived on the porch yesterday evening and I took it all down stairs.

Well, this morning I decided to put in a little ATF to lub up the internals of the t-case. Why not clean up the table while I was at it and put all the t-case skid parts minus the skid on the table so I can guarantee all the parts were present. That's when I discovered this little 3/4 inch by 3 inch spring in an empty box. Hmm... I had pulled that spring out of my t-case the first time. Confused Oh. . . Embarassed That's supposed to be IN the t-case. So, I dismantled the t-case, slapped the darn spring in, and assembled the t-case back together with black RTV.

Now everything works. dancing banana

-Trevor.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how things actually work when they have all the parts installed. rofl

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
It's amazing how things actually work when they have all the parts installed. rofl

Ouch! owned
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Yankee says "About time" Reply with quote

Phase 2: The Rear Diff (I'll post pics of stuff tonight).

Just a small update.

The Ford 8.8 sits stoically off to the side like any spare parts ought to be. No wait... that's supposed to be on my jeep!

Finally, with the sales assistance of Randy Woods I've finally ordered the next parts, the MORE TJ bracket set for the Ford 8.8. I'll soon have in my hands an Nth Degree Mobility Shock Shifter (whew, long name), hopefully at a cheaper price unused from someone.

Just need to clean up the Diff and mark the spots to weld them.

Later,

Trevor.

p.s. The CJ-5 lives. Well sort of. It still needs a seat and the gas tank bolted down.
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Small Update Reply with quote

Welp, I got my Ford 8.8 back ready to stick in my jeep. I hope to get to that this week sometime. I also made minor adjustment to my fan shroud and started my jeep up for the first time since October. It ran nicely without a hitch so far. I'll have to take some pics of it.

Current new components added: Nth Degree Tummy Tucker and JB Super Short SYE. I'll have pics up soon of this.

-Trevor.

p.s. Yankee appears to be finally free of his food allergy. He's gotten into nearly every type of food he can get his teeth into including random dog food, cat food, pizza crusts, rawhide, and chinese food. I believe he's even stolen off with a cookie or two but we have no hard evidence to convict him on that.
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is his coat looking better?

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite yet. He's got more fur in his coat and his tail is raggedy but fluffy. He also keeps trying to go to work with me. I think he misses the road trips. Either that or he's had it with Cody and wants a quieter place to rest. Mr. Green
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: